Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. This past weekend my TB started on fire as I was driving 65mph down the Toll Road. I glanced back into my rearview mirror after entering a construction zone and all I could see was smoke through my back window. Pulled over and before I took of running I looked under the vehicle and saw a puddle of fluid on fire! There was more fluid from inside the engine dripping dripping into the puddle. The fluid that was dripping down was on fire too. Then I ran. Its a 2005 4.2 with 39,375 miles on it. My $2,000 estimate showed that is was generated by a chassis wire harness grounding out. This in turn melted the seal to a tranmission line causing transmission fluid to squirt everywhere and fueling the fire.

I made a call to GM the following day and they are going to investigate my vehicle next week. GM is taking my case very severely and they have maintained constant daily contact with me this past week. I've been having a ton of problems with my TB the past few months. I've had my powersteering pump replaced, Idler pulley (twice), Alternator, front inner and outer differential seals and pinion seals (they were leaking), driver side power window module and fuel level sensor. I was also getting ready to bring it back to the shop because it still whines badly!

Thankfully a good samaritan came and put the fire out before my whole car went up. My estimate includes replacing the right motor mount and bracket, abs wire harness/rear chassis harness, right side 02 sensor, tranmission fluid fill, a/c and heater evap tube, transmission line replacement.

Is this common or is there someone out there who wants me dead?!?!

·
Registered
241 Posts
definitely not common. im at about 70,000 miles and no major problems. good luck with that, you should ask for a whole other Trailblazer from chevy. that thing almost blew up on you, they owe it to you

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
728 Posts
Yea might want to start carring a fire extinguisher from now on :thumbsup:
boy scout moto: always be prepared. just knowledge from when I was a scout many years ago lol :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,077 Posts
I never heard of Trailvoy going on fire that way or any other way. My brother's bonneville went on fire due to a faulty grounding wire problem as well with the sunroof. Glad your safe. Sounds like a guardian angel is watching over you to have someone around to put the fire out. Hope GM does well for you.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,220 Posts
Here are two pics I saved. First one was for sale on eBay! The second is a Bravada that caught fire as it was travelling down the highway.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
I had a fire in my engine bay. The problem was not with any short circuits but the dipstick at a Quickie lube shop left my dipstick up after checking my fluid level.

Long story short .... going up a mountain hill and the trany oil bubbled out onto the exhaust manifold and flashed up.

Covered under my comprehensive policy but still a pita.

Trucks are funny. Get a bad one with problems you are sometimes better off letting it burn out. I'm glad I saved mine as it has been great to me.

First time I've heard of factory electrical issues causing a fire in a trailvoy :undecided

·
Registered
240 Posts
WoW!! Thank goodness you are ok from that! Car fires can accelerate quickly through most vehicles.

definitely not common. im at about 70,000 miles and no major problems. good luck with that, you should ask for a whole other Trailblazer from chevy. that thing almost blew up on you, they owe it to you
If Chevy or your dealers does offer something like this, you might want to talk to an attorney to make sure you are covered and they don't try screwing you over. But if it comes down to a new TB...SS all the way!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Man I'm sorry to hear that, but if mine catches fire I hope it burns to the ground, I would be putting it up for sale when it gets repaired if it where mine.jm $.02:cool:

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
The truck...the truck...the truck is on FIRE! :D

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
561 Posts
I dunno but i would be lookin to get a new ride out of the deal

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update

Thanks for all your responses.

Its getting towed to a GM dealership on Tuesday and GM is having a third party diagnosis the cause of the fire too. Then they said "we will go from there."

I will update this thread as time goes on. Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
301 Posts
3 words of advice for anyone if your vehicle catches fire....LET IT BURN.

I'm glad you got out of it ok but you should have let it burn to the ground. Especially if it was a lemon as you say. Your resale value is now really shot to hell and who knows if they can even find the problem that started it. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3 words of advice for anyone if your vehicle catches fire....LET IT BURN.

I'm glad you got out of it ok but you should have let it burn to the ground. Especially if it was a lemon as you say. Your resale value is now really shot to hell and who knows if they can even find the problem that started it. Good luck.

I know I know. Right when I stopped I thought about leaving the car on and running but with my luck it would of blown up as another car was passing it, so I couldn't take the chance.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
1,244 Posts
I dunno but i would be lookin to get a new ride out of the deal
if you can sue someone in the usa for spilling hot coffee on u, im sure you could sue someone for your truck going on fire

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got a call from GM today. They are taking responsibility for the problem, saying it was a leaking transmission cooler line. I am supposed to hear back from them in 2 days with what their next step is going to be. Spotting me a new engine would be nice but who knows. I'm glad they are taking responsibility for the problem even though my car is 300 miles out of warranty.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts