Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cousins getting married in central Florida in a few weeks and I'm trying to decide if I should drive the TB or not. It's an 02 with about 111,000 miles on it and I'm sure it would make it with no problems. The problem is I'll put about 1900 miles on it going down and back from a Thursday to a Sunday. I've been thinking of renting a Chevy Aveo or similar, more fuel efficient car to take and it looks like it would cost about $100 from Thurs-Monday. I figure I'll break even on the cost of the rental by saving money on gas. I really would be more comfortable in the TB, but I'm not sure it makes sense to put the milage and wear/tear on it if I can basically take a rental for free... what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,513 Posts
Tough call, mileage/wear and tear, one hand, comfort/safety on the other.

To me the comfort/safety wins every time.

But to make yourself feel good, or bad, do the math. 20 mph against 35 mph. I don't think it will cover the cost of rental.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
3,149 Posts
Cost only $100 Thurs - Monday:undecided Is that with unlimited miles 'cause that sounds like a better deal. Why put those miles on the truck if you don't have to:m2: But if you have a lot of stuff or other people going with you then the Trailblazer might be the way to go:crazy:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,144 Posts
i am in the same situation a few weeks ago when we have to visit my in-laws at North Carolina.

at first, i want to rent a small suv or sedan to save on gas and less mileage but in the end, i chose to take my TB.:yes:

decision depends on a lot of factors like:

price (gas, rent,etc)
luggage
# of people with you

and lastly, how much you love your TB. :D (i cant leave mine for a few weeks)

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
485 Posts
I own both a TB and and an Aveo. I would not hesitate to drive the Aveo two thousand miles as long as I am not planning to haul a lot of stuff. In fact the number 1 reason I bought the Aveo was to reduce wear and tear on the TB while saving a few bucks in gas( I've gotten over 40mpg on long trips). As far as comfort/safety goes it's got more safety features and airbags than the TB, a five star crash rating and its very comfortable.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
132 Posts
If the Trailblazer runs fine and you've maintained it, I would take that however if you are concerned about putting miles on it then rent the Aveo.

If you decide on the TB put a coat of wax on before you leave that way when you get back all the bugs will come off easier when you wash it.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I actually found a flight for $268 so I booked it. 1900 miles getting about 19-20 mpg is about 100 gallons of gas, comes up costing me about 30 bucks to fly. Plus the $50 worth of gin I'll drink on the plane....:bonk:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,834 Posts
Just something to put in the back of your mind for next time. Is there a vehicle you have been thinking about buying? Great time to spend some time to see if you really want the new vehicle.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
118 Posts
Have been from Vegas to DC & up and down the East Coast.
My time and pleasure is worth something. Never regretted driving. I am the pilot & do not worry about the checked baggage nor the delays. 6 hours in Hartsfield doesn't equate to up the road and gone on a new adventure..M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.