Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 envoy xuv and today started having trouble with the tailgate. The tailgate comes open 2 ways out like a station wagon or down like a truck. there are two diffrent buttons on the gate one for down and one for out. Both buttons are opening the gate out and the gate wont always shut. When you open the gate you can here what sounds like a beep coming from the latch. Is this a beep telling me something is wrong or is it a squeal from the latch do to it going bad? Why are both buttons opening the gate out instead of down? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
22 Posts
Last time that happened, the GMC dealer replaced some components in the tailgate free of charge (under warranty at the time) and it worked great for about two years.

Since then, I've moved to a different state and the dealer here wanted to charge me $250 and said the tailgate was not covered by my extended warranty. It gotten worse to the point where the tailgate will not latch at all, so I may have to bite the bullet and get it fixed.

I tried disconnecting the battery (maybe the computer that controls the tailgate got confused and needed a reset), but it didn't do any good. I heard something about dust gets in the tailgate electronics and messed it up, which seems inexcusable for an four wheel drive SUV that theoretically could be seeing dusty off road conditions from time to time.

I don't know of any easy fix, other than going to the dealer and getting an estimate. Good luck, I'm in the same boat and will let you know how it goes.

If you do a search for "XUV tailgate" there are some things you can do (maybe). I'm still going to the dealer this week and seeing what they say.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank-you for your reply. Ihave done some research on this and too found that dust gets into the latch and causes the latch (actuator) to malfunction. The reason the tailgate is coming down with both switches is due to the lower latch not latching. Therefore when the gate is released it wants to come down instead of out. I had to be carefull I almost took the gate off altogether when I realized this. I found a lower latch online for about 60.00 dollars and there simple to remove and replace.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts