Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my tailgate switch failed. The one in the center that drops the gate was still working. But the one on the left quit working.

1. Remove the switch I had to drill the screw heads off because of rust. Then there wasn't enough play in the wire to get the plug down through the hole. Lowered the rear window, dropped the tailgate, took off the cover, the sensor on the T-shaped bracket, and the hollow black steel piece?? Closed the tailgate and put the window back up. Got inside and cut the wires off of the plug going into the switch. The switch was then out on the ground. I crushed the clips that held the screws and they came out just leaving the square holes. I touched the two wire ends together and the window came down about 2 inches and the tailgate popped open (like it's supposed to) and swung out making things a lot more accessible.

2. Attach a "momentary" push-button switch The touch pad appeared to be OK but there was a little window of some sort between the touch-pad and the plug where moisture had gotten in. stupid place for a little window:weird:. I basically carefully trimmed off most of the plug using a utility knife then filed it down fairly flat. Drilled a hole to accept the "momentary" push-button switch (from Radio Shack). Soldered and shrink-wrapped the connections.

3. Reinstall the switch I couldn't easily find the clippy parts to pop into the holes to accept mounting screws. I considered nylon license place inserts but they wouldn't have allowed the original switch to lay flush to its mounting location. The switch would have been protruding and visible when looking at the tailgate. So, I just mounted the switch using 1/4 X 20 nuts and bolts with about a 3/4" washer on the inside. Attached the wires to the ones that the plug was attached to.

Works great so far. Using the original switch as a base for the push-button provides a good solid hand hold to pull the door. It feels pretty easy and natural to push the button and swing the tailgate. My only concern is that I probably should have gotten a more heavy duty or waterproof push-button.

I took pictures as I went along but the camera setting was whacked, the pics are too big to attach. Feel free to e-mail and I will send pics. If I can figure out how to make them smaller I'll attach them later.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,267 Posts
those XUV's are pretty 'rare'.
YOu can always tell those because of the large chrome strips in the rear.
But if you have OUTLOOK as the mail program----you can select a picture and select that you want to mail it--- it then gives you the option of making the pic smaller... and you can choose 3 sizes I think...
Just mail it to yourself....
I think 640x480 is one of the options... which becomes a nice small files.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
97 Posts
Mine failed too. Luckily, it was still under my 90-day used car warranty, so the dealer fixed it for free.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks rbarrios for the pic shrinking tip. see attached...

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Radio Shack switch failed. Wasn't meant to withstand the snow, ice, and road salt. I ordered waterproof marine switches off ebay for about $6.50 each. :thumbsup:

While I have access I'll go ahead and "repair" the center pressure switch too, even though it hasn't failed yet. Probably just a matter of time. (Like about a week after I replace the 1st one)

Attachments

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
My Radio Shack switch failed. Wasn't meant to withstand the snow, ice, and road salt. I ordered waterproof marine switches off ebay for about $6.50 each. :thumbsup:

While I have access I'll go ahead and "repair" the center pressure switch too, even though it hasn't failed yet. Probably just a matter of time. (Like about a week after I replace the 1st one)
Nice groundbrealing work again e-Iowa-o. This will be absolutely necessary in about 5-6 years when it will be impossible to get the pressure switches from GM. For now I have a couple of new spares safely squarreled away in my garage. They are still only abouy $16 each from GM. Not a bad deal considering what they charge or other things

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
What does a genuine GM replacement part cost?

-- Dan Meyer :coffee
$16 Someone on the site recommended a Cadillac Dealer discount website from NJ or TX cant remember. Anyway they are available and that is what I paid. Two spares should do me fine

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stealership wanted to sell me the entire assembly, both switches and the light for the license plate. At a cost of about $270 if I remember correctly. And, told me I'd have to pay extra to get it painted to match my vehicle color because they could only get them primed.

Kind of makes a guy want to try to figure out a work around...:raspberry

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
Stealership wanted to sell me the entire assembly, both switches and the light for the license plate. At a cost of about $270 if I remember correctly. And, told me I'd have to pay extra to get it painted to match my vehicle color because they could only get them primed.

Kind of makes a guy want to try to figure out a work around...:raspberry
That parts guy is a lying piece of sh&#. Heres the breakdown either of the switches R/L is part 13, they are available I paid like $16.99. But like I said we will all need to use your mod if we keep the XUV's long enough!

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah, that bites... I'd have been happy to pay that $ for the switches. Never thought of checking with Cadillac.

I can't report ever having a good experience with a dealership.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
13 Posts
Window stuck in down position

The window went down and never came back up, also the dash says "Tailgate Open" and it's not. Also the center switch stop working the other day to drop the gate down. Some I thought I would check the guts of the tailgate.. BUT...
Took off the cover of my tailgate. My window is stuck in the down position, so I don't have access to the wiring. How can I get the window up so I can repair the switches and check the wiring?:undecided

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
13 Posts
update

Drove the XUV, hit a few bumps and now the window is up, but the warning light and dinger goes off on most corners and a few bumps, any ideas where to start to look for the loose connection?

Also bought a new switch from the dealer for the tailgate drop down, $28.00 I guess the low price of $16 is no longer available, at least not in NY state.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry Dude, I have no clue on this one. For me, the switch repair was pretty straight forward. Glad your window went back up:crazy:

Keep watching, somebody might have had a similar problem.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
Drove the XUV, hit a few bumps and now the window is up, but the warning light and dinger goes off on most corners and a few bumps, any ideas where to start to look for the loose connection?

Also bought a new switch from the dealer for the tailgate drop down, $28.00 I guess the low price of $16 is no longer available, at least not in NY state.
Take a look at these, take them with a grain of salt as in dont just go replacing 3 latches at once...they would never all fail simultaneously. Note that my defective center switch screwed up the drop gate, window and swing gate latch functions. I replaced it and drop gate now works and window gos up and down from overhead console. I am still chasing intermittent swing gate latching ( I have a new bottom latch and relay I will be installing this weekend)

TSB #3206 -- POWER ROOF AND OR REAR ENDGATE GLASS MAY NOT OPEN CLOSE. *EH (NHTSA ID #10010598, no date provided)

#05-08-66-008: Endgate, Glass or Roof Will Not Operate Properly (Replace Endgate Latches) - (Nov 11, 2005)

Subject: Endgate, Glass Or Roof Will Not Operate Properly (Replace Endgate Latches)

Models: 2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV

Condition

Some customers may comment on any of the following concerns:
• The endgate is hard to close.

• The endgate glass will not open or close all the way.

• The retractable roof will not close all the way.

Cause

A build up of dirt or dust on the switch inside the latch may cause this condition.

Correction

Replace all three endgate latches with a new robust latch from GMSPO. See SI Document ID # XXXXXXX, XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX for the repair.

Parts Information

Part Number Description
15778433 Latch E/Gate Upper Left Hand
15778434 Latch E/Gate Upper Right Hand
15778435 Latch E/Gate Lower

or this one

#PIT3651: Endgate Electrical Concerns B3966 B3967 - keywords actuator chafe code DTC glass inoperative latch lock performance rear window wire - (Jul 8, 2005)

Subject: Endgate Electrical Concerns B3966 B3967

Models: 2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV

Condition/Concern:

There are 3 known electrical concerns with the endgate.
First concern
An XUV may exhibit a condition of intermittent operation of the endgate drop and swing functions. If diagnosis with a scan tool reveals a DTC B3967, the condition may be occurring due to chaffing in the wire harness for the endgate latch actuators.
Second Concern
If a history DTC B3966 has been set, it may be due to an out-of-range condition for the endgate window position that was set during initial cycling of the glass.
Third Concern
If there is a loss of endgate function and loss of Class2 communication with the endgate module, it may be due to a loss of Battery power to the endgate module

Recommendation/Instructions:

Carefully inspect the harness inside the endgate for evidence of pinched or exposed wires. Pinched/chafed wires have been found inside the end gate within approximately 8 inches of the latch actuator connectors for the upper right and/or lower left latches.

This DTC should be cleared and then a Tech 2 endgate re-learn procedure should be performed with the endgate swung open. Then the gate should be closed and window full up and full down operations should be performed followed by other gate functional checks including rear wiper, and drop/swing operations to confirm that the fault condition does not return. If this procedure does not correct the condition then perform the diagnostic procedures in SI and repair as necessary.

3. Circuit 2740 should be checked to see if an open circuit condition exists at the body to endgate connector C900. Look for backed-out or poorly crimped terminals in the connector.

Lastly look at this :

Best of luck, keep us informed, PM me if you need more info. Just understand that this problem is your punishment for desireing to own the BEST of the 300 series GM SUVs---the ENVOY XUV!!!!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
13 Posts
Success

Center gate switch was shot. Took it apart and it too was corroded. Think I'll cob it back together for a spare!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Just understand that this problem is your punishment for desireing to own the BEST of the 300 series GM SUVs---the ENVOY XUV!!!!
So, what did you do in a previous life to deserve to work on the design project, THEN also own one of the critters? Talk about karma biting you in the butt! :dielaugh: :duh:

You should have bought an extra one for a parts car. :thumbsup:

In the spirit of full disclosure, I was about to buy an XUV, except the dealer and I were still $600 apart and price was a big consideration. My life would have been entirely different, because I certainly would not have built up the XUV for extreme offroading.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
So, what did you do in a previous life to deserve to work on the design project, THEN also own one of the critters? Talk about karma biting you in the butt! :dielaugh: :duh:

You should have bought an extra one for a parts car. :thumbsup:

In the spirit of full disclosure, I was about to buy an XUV, except the dealer and I were still $600 apart and price was a big consideration. My life would have been entirely different, because I certainly would not have built up the XUV for extreme offroading.
Yea and I had to face constant ridicule from the all the engineers and managers working on the 360 program who laughed at my enthusiasm for the roof, midgate and dropgate/swing gate on the 305. They all said it would never sell and it didnt. But it wass a fun part of my life....and now I got one (for pennys on the dollar of original MSRP!)

We knew in advance that the gate was going to be a durability cluster funk, and a nightmare to build, setup in the assembly plant, and repair. When I asked the designer what the customer was going to do to maintain the gates electronics after the 10yr part period was up he just shrugged his shoulders.

Well the 305 Trailvoys like e-Iowa and me will keep them going!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
3 Posts
Yea and I had to face constant ridicule from the all the engineers and managers working on the 360 program who laughed at my enthusiasm for the roof, midgate and dropgate/swing gate on the 305. They all said it would never sell and it didnt. But it wass a fun part of my life....and now I got one (for pennys on the dollar of original MSRP!)

We knew in advance that the gate was going to be a durability cluster funk, and a nightmare to build, setup in the assembly plant, and repair. When I asked the designer what the customer was going to do to maintain the gates electronics after the 10yr part period was up he just shrugged his shoulders.

Well the 305 Trailvoys like e-Iowa and me will keep them going!
I still don't understand why it didn't sell. I love the truck...except for the tailgate. The midgate keeps the front clean from my otherwise dirty and dusty rear compartment! It was a good idea.

I have an issue where my tailgate is actually working for once. My switches are new so they open as they should. I have no power to my rear defrost or my wiper but i have power to everything else on the tailgate. I had the entire harness changed as well as the glass assembly which had rusted out and no longer raised the window. It cost a fortune!! The guy could not get power to the defrost or the wiper motor. One day it worked on its own. Then it died again.

Any clue what it could be? Thanks for your input.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts