Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted to know if anyone has made or knows where to buy some kind of spare tire mount that goes on the back hatch back door. kinda like the system that is on the back of a jeep or hummer.

i want to get my spare up and out from under the truck. i would also like to find some kind of rear rack that would hold 1 or cans of gas. again something like what is on a jeep or land rover.

cheers, thnx for the help. lovin' all the info in this site.:tiphat

Z

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
I would not mount on the rear hatch because of the weight and strain on the hinges and latch. However, a hinged, latching, carrier that goes on the trailer receiver that also holds a couple of gas cans could work. Are you handy with a welder?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
728 Posts
go to james downing website and click modifications and go to spare tire carrier, he has a fab guy who will make you one for about $300... you could use a toyota style or jeep style holder that olts to the rear gate, you just have to beef up you gas shocks that hold the gate open, as for the hinges, im sure they will hold up as long as you get better shocks on that thing ...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
i wanted to know if anyone has made or knows where to buy some kind of spare tire mount that goes on the back hatch back door. kinda like the system that is on the back of a jeep or hummer.
Guaranteed the hinges and lift gas springs would not survive the strain. Besides custom solutions, there is also the Hitchgate product. Search for the word here.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
go to james downing website and click modifications and go to spare tire carrier, he has a fab guy who will make you one for about $300... you could use a toyota style or jeep style holder that olts to the rear gate, you just have to beef up you gas shocks that hold the gate open, as for the hinges, im sure they will hold up as long as you get better shocks on that thing ...

http://offroadtb.com/modifications/index.htm#SpareCarrier

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?p=696829#post696829

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
if you even mounted it on the rear liftgate door, the shocks wouldnt hold the door up. too much weight.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
203 Posts
james has a nice set up and it costs a good amount less then the hitchgate. but i will throw my 2 cents in here and say that i love the hitchgate, is works great and you can keep 7000 lb. towing capacity. the locking bolt inside is nice to keep from rattling as well.

also more pics to show the gate

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,031 Posts
Here is a cheap alternative. This is infact better than the Hidden Hitch version that I purchased and is the same one that AlekG is using. The Curt has an angle built it to compensate for larger tires, something that I did not realize at the time of purchase. It is fixxed but with a little fabrication can be made to swing down or away. I will be making mine a swing down within the next couple of weeks and adding the needed angle for a larger tire so that by tire does not have to be reverse mounted. There are many options, this being the lowest priced. Good luck on your search!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...rowse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=curt

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
728 Posts
if you go to search feild and typ ein hitchgate product, you should come up with 3 listing, click on Alek posting and his setup includes curt angle tire holder the one you posted, and the the surco fold unit so the tire can be folded down....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts