Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 TB that the tailgate is stuck on. It looks like the handle is broken from the internal mechanism. I can see there is a hole in the back that lets me access the guts, but I'm not positive what to do inside the hole. I'm assuming I can use it to temporarily open the gate while I get the parts I need to replace it.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

-=Michael=-

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
go into the hole and yull see a black plastic piece attached to a metal bar lookin thing...either push it up or down...which ever way it will go and this will unlock the hatch

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
instructions are in the manual I believe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This just happened to my rear door, but I'm afraid to use the black plastic thingie to open it (it's stuck closed) - will I be able to get it closed again if I open it with the black plastic handle? Anyone?

Thanks,
Shawna

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You might have to pull the trim panel and spray WD-40 in there and fix the corrosion that caused it to stick in the first place. Unless there are broken bits to buy replacements for after you open it. But that would have to be done anyway, and there's no other way to troubleshoot the problem. So just open it and figure out later how to close it if it doesn't want to. Just a small challenge, unless you're totally unfamiliar with fixing mechanical things.

If that's the case - the weekend has started. Buy some good beer and display it prominently with a sign saying - FREE BEER IF YOU FIX MY LIFTGATE. Somebody will come along to help - I can pretty much guarantee it. :D

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4,074 Posts
If that's the case - the weekend has started. Buy some good beer and display it prominently with a sign saying - FREE BEER IF YOU FIX MY LIFTGATE. Somebody will come along to help - I can pretty much guarantee it. :D

Yeaaa!! ^^ that...yea I noticed some nasty stuff on my lift gate latch internal thingy-a-magiggy I'm thinking do to the liftgate seal leaking. Just take off the inside panel & you have access right to the internal workings of the handle...Here's my thread where I did my ugly lift gate seal & you can kind of see the panel off & such...easy on the clips holding your panel in...I broke a few...Opps!

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=62496

Well I guess the pics really won't help..haha..sorry...but it's easy..

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
12 Posts
Just happened to me yesterday and FIXED it..

Yes I could not get the gate opened. Thru the little hole I saw a black plastic part behind a metal tab which moves left and right. You will need to get that black plactic part down so that the metal tab will hit it when it moves to the right. Once opened I took off panel and took out entire mechanism. (really easy 3 torx bolts and couple rods to disconnect, 2 elec. jacks) I found that mine was the power lock part of it. There is a lever on the bottom right that moves in and out - well mine was rusted. Once I freed this up (lots of a spray,oil,tapping,working it back and forth- good hour) she moved good and allowed the black plactic piece to come down like it should and come in contact with the metal locking tab. Really cleaned and oiled everything up and put back together and works great. Recommend good lube and to use your power locks more to keep her moving. Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts