Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've recently joined and have already posted under one thread, but I'd like to start a new thread. Although this question has been addresed on other threads my situation may be unique. I'd first like to thank the person who previously replied in the other thread.

Okay so I have an 03 envoy xl, one side had been previously broken due to a possible burned bulb. But, I recently discovered that both sides had lost function. I've checked all fuses pertaining to the reverse lamps and they all seem okay. I do have one question regarding fuses. Underneath the rear fuse box, I am missing one large fuse for the lamps (grey square), is this normal.

After checking fuses, I decided to check the socket. After some speculation, I had replaced the connectors and bulbs, still nothing. So, now I am in a bit of a situation and have no clue what could be wrong. I will try to get someone to run a diagnostic test but I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions to fixing this problem. Thank you in advance for your replys.

I also have one small question about the chime level (when door is open and key in in ignition). This noise sometime stays at a high volume and sometime and a low level. Sometimes when the left speaker is put high through the radio, then the chime is at a high level, other wise always low. I have gone through the manual, and their suggestions do not work. Any ideas would be great.

Again thankyou.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Okay so I have an 03 envoy xl, one side had been previously broken due to a possible burned bulb.
What do you mean: "Possible burned bulb"? What do you mean: "broken"?

Please describe exactly what you observed and what you measured and what you changed.

But, I recently discovered that both sides had lost function.
[/QUOTE]What function? Backup lamps? Stop lamps? Marker lamps?
I've checked all fuses pertaining to the reverse lamps and they all seem okay.
Ahhhh, it's a Backup lamp problem? Did you check TBC 5, fuse #32 in the rear?
I do have one question regarding fuses. Underneath the rear fuse box, I am missing one large fuse for the lamps (grey square), is this normal.
You MUST share the location of the missing fuse (it may also be a relay). You know the location, the fuse cover and the Owner's Manual have pictures of the locations, and it would be so simple to answer if you could just share WHICH one you think is missing. Please?
After checking fuses, I decided to check the socket. After some speculation, I had replaced the connectors and bulbs, still nothing.
Which socket? The backup lamps? Did you measure anything with a meter? Why replace something difficult like a connector unless you know it's bad by measurement? Can you confirm WHAT connectors you replaced?

I'd love to help, but the details are very important in a troubleshooting game like this. I can't guess, so you have to be more precise. Thanks!

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,531 Posts
Another possibility is that your tail light circuit boards have gone bad. IIRC, there was a recall or TSB on them. Have your dealer run your VIN and see if they are included in the recall. I had to have them replaced on my 2003 TB when I had it.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All of these issues deal with the reverse lights (backup lights)

Initially I observed a broken reverse lamp bulb. I changed it and it did not light. A few weeks later, the other side (right side) had also undergone the same problem. We did check the socket for the reverse lamps (it is gray with 3 wires mounted directly behind the reverse lamps) and found that there was no power running to it (used a meter and no power). We changed the reverse lamp sockets with another pair of reverse lamp sockets and found that these also did not work.

All of this is after we checked fuses. I went back to the rear fuse console and discovered that fuse 45 (rear fog lamps) was missing. I actually don;t really know if there is suppose to be one, since the reverse lamps were working even without touching the rear underseat fuse block.

The sockets and connectors I mentioned in the above post refer to the same thing, sorry for the confusion.

Anyways thankyou for your replys, and I will get the dealer to check for recalls.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Sorry - I'm in the middle of a camping and offroad trip until 7/27. If it isn't fuse #32 in the rear, it could be the reverse mode switch, but somebody with the manual will have to post the location to look at. I can't do it from the road. The rear fog lamps are not an option in US vehicles, that's why the fuse is missing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts