Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my fiance has an 03 gmc envoy slt, and the tach needle as of yesterday is not in the correct position at startup and dosent move properly when the engine revs higher. its actually sitting almost stright down, and seems to move when the engine is revved but not nearly as much as it should. is this likely just a loose connection? where is the cable that monitors rpm so i can check to see if its loose? or is there a way to re-calibrate the tach? maybe unhook the battery for a period of time?

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
The problem that you describe, is generally a bad stepper motor in the tach.

I'm giving you this info, as you have provided the vehicle info in your post. However, you will have a lot more success if you complete the vehicle profile info under the User CP pull down.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 04 Trailblazer, it had been intermittently doing this for about a month.

After searching the forum, I ordered a replacement stepper motor today - hopefully it will do the trick.

-Steve

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
23 Posts
stepper motors

I had the same problem with my 2005 TB. I orderd all 6 off ebay for $28 with free shipping. Replaced them myself and all is good now. Dont just replace one because the all will go bad sooner or later!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Opening this thread back up. My tach did a similar thing where it dropped down to about the 5 o'clock position, but it still seems to be moving with the RPMs of the motor. Do I need to change the stepper motor, or is something else wrong? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
That is a symptom of a bad stepper motor.

But - the warning is that if ONE is bad - the rest are gonna die too.

They're not fun to replace - but a human can do it. I've even done a lot of them.

But - yeah - do it right and do them all at once and don't buy them from GM!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.