Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I decided I was going to flush some fluids on my 2006 TB 5.3 4wd. I dropped the pan on the transmission and changed the fluid with replacement GM fluid and filter (only 5.5 quarts came out and thats what went back in)

However my concern was with the Transfer case. I picked up 2 quarts of Auto trac II. When I removed the top plug first, I expected to have a lil drip roll out being thats supposed to be the fluid level line, unstead it shot out almost under pressure it would seem and shot about a foot out passing the catch pan. Then when I did the bottom one it seemed to go further. All in all it looked like a lot more than 2 quarts came out. When I was putting the fluid back in it wouldnt take more than 1.5 quarts before the fluid started overflowing from the top refill whole.

Did I do something wrong? do I need to drive it around and then try topping it off again? I drove it about 4 miles since I did this, hope I didnt cause any damage by driving around with too little fluid.

Anyone else have a similar experience or share their opinion and or advice on this? thank you very much if so

PS I was planning to use only GM fluids on my TB as I did with the trans and T/C, I wanted to use GM fluid in the differentials but the dealer said it would be about 5.5 quarts to do both diffs and they charge $32 PER QUART!!! If its really the best thing to use I will, I would rather pay more and have the best fluid available but if something can match or exceed I will go with that.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Another poster recently had a similar experience--his transfer case had more than two quarts in it. The capacity is 2 quarts, so no harm was done driving around with 1.5 of new stuff. If it was full, it was full.

When I did my 03 Envoy, I was only able to get 1.8 quarts back in. Others say they got 2 back in. YMMV, depending on the angle of the truck when drained.

There is only one reasonable way I can see to get more than two quarts of fluid in the transfer case, and that is down the breather hose. Just a question, was it normal blue TC fluid? Or did it look contaminated, as though water had gotten in via the breather hose? Could have happened fording a deep stream with a bad or missing hose. Unlikely but possible.

Front diff can use regular 75W90 synthetic from any reputable manufacturer. Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Valvoline etc. You can use that in the rear if you have an open diff. If you have a limited slip or a G80, I'd recommend going with the GM fluid, though I believe Amsoil and Royal Purple (but not Mobil 1) meet the GM spec. To be safe, use the GM expensive stuff. And yes, that is the list price. My dealer sold me a bottle for $26, so it might pay to ask for a discount, especially if you are going to buy more than one bottle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fluid looked light blue when it came out, hard to tell really because it dumped into the same pan I just had the tranny fluid in moments before so an post-mortem wasnt possible. Is it possible to overfill the TC? if not should I try putting in some extra via the vent tube you were talking about? there was def a lot more fluid in there before I did the swap. I do thank you for your time in responding to my post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts