Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m currently running stock 16 inch rims that came with my 04 trailblazer, I was looking to switch over to 17 inch steel rim. Would I have any problems with bolt patterns, rubbing from the tire, or anything in that would cause any issues or it not being able to work? Has anybody tried this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why a 17" steel rim? Trailblazers have an oddball pattern that makes any aftermarket rim be very expensive. On the other hand, My 2002 TB EXT came with factory 17" alloys on her and has a 17" factory full size steel spare. Maybe you could find the factory spare wheels from under a few southern or southwest EXT TB's?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally love the look of the spare 17” steel rims, It kind of gives it an offroad-ish look and thats the look im going for! Yes I was thinking about looking around for some at a junkyard or maybe fb market. Do you think they would fit?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Smitty, The reason that the EXT models have the 17" wheels is that they have larger front brakes to handle the extra weight that the EXT packs. I bought a set of 16" alloys by mistake when i blew out a tire and "road rashed" one of mine and they fit the rear just fine but wouldn't fit the front because of the larger brakes. I still have them because I'm contemplating getting one of the short models.

To answer your question, yes, they'll bolt right on with no mods, and if you're careful, you could even put on a little taller tire in order to fill out the fenders a little more...I just wouldn't go TOO tall because the 4.2 could overpower the weaker 4l60e tranny. Mine has stock height tires and has 190,000 miles on the drivetrain so far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Smitty01, just remember that "yankee" trucks deal with the road salt, and road salt eats up steel that is under the truck (including the steel wheels), which is why you may prefer to find "southern" or "southwestern" located used wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts