Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched over to Full Synthetic oil yesterday when I changed my oil. I got 7 quarts of the Super Tech Full Synthetic from Walmart. Got the Fram Tough Guard filter (I read the regular Fram filters suck). I've been having to use the 07 Trailblazer V6 filter for my Isuzu (same engine (Vortec 4200) cause Walmart doesnt stock the filter reccomended for the Isuzu Ascender... Which makes me wonder why the filters are different for the same engine?

Anyhow, so far the synthetic seems to run smoother. Wondering how long I should wait before changing it.. 5,000? 7,500?

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
413 Posts
Does your Isuzu have the Driver Information Center (DIC)? If so, use the oil change monitor. I run full synthetic in my '08 Envoy and I change the filter (Pureguard) at 50% and add a quart. That's usually around 5k. I do a full change (oil and new filter) when the DIC hits 10% oil life left. I didn't see much of an m.p.g. gain but it sure idles and runs smooth! Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
What did ya wait so long for? :D

I bought my 02 Envoy in 2004 w/64000 miles. First thing I did was changed the oil and put synthetic right in. Have used purolators and ac-delco oil filters mainly...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
85 Posts
I work at a dealer and I (of course) get the oil very cheap, So I change the oil every 2,500 miles or less with Castrol Full Synthetic. I changed to synthetic at 80K so you can imagine I am at 111k now how many times ive changed my oil since. I guess I plan to keep the TB forever and hopefully the inside of the engine is very clean. :yes:

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
201 Posts
I switched over to Full Synthetic oil yesterday when I changed my oil. I got 7 quarts of the Super Tech Full Synthetic from Walmart. Got the Fram Tough Guard filter (I read the regular Fram filters suck). I've been having to use the 07 Trailblazer V6 filter for my Isuzu (same engine (Vortec 4200) cause Walmart doesnt stock the filter reccomended for the Isuzu Ascender... Which makes me wonder why the filters are different for the same engine?

Anyhow, so far the synthetic seems to run smoother. Wondering how long I should wait before changing it.. 5,000? 7,500?
I use the same oil but use the supertech oil filter. I change the oil at 5,000 and have been doing this for years with no problems.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
I am suspicious about both products you mention... If you take the time to cut open ANY Fram filter, you will see that they are all the same inside. You just pay more for their fancy versions. Swap to a Mobil 1 filter for longer and better filter life.

Also, note that the mere presence of the word "synthetic" on the label doesn't mean that the oil is a true synthetic. The government allows the oil industry to badge modified dino oils as synthetic if they are re-formulated (more highly refined) and have certain additives. They are still dino oils with mixed-size molecules, however, and do not provide the long-term benefits of a true synthetic like Amsoil.

Amsoil came into being from the jet engine oils designed to take the heat and loading of the turbo-prop jet engines. True full synthetic oils were the only thing that could stand up to the load these engines produced. The founder of Amsoil then took that same product and introduced it into the automotive industry as the first true (fully manufactured) synthetic oil. It features long-chain molecules of equal length, and the proper additives for lengthy service intervals.

A brief quote from an oil industry article is pasted below. What all the oil jargon actually means is that the industry can now refine regular grades of dino oil into something that mimics true high-performance synthetic oil -- except that it doesn't...

Synthetic Lubricants

Until recently, synthetic lubricants have been blended predominantly with polyalphaolefins or PAO/ester blends. Although widely available, these stocks are made in relatively small volumes. However, with the latest developments in hydroprocessing technology, some all-hydroprocessed Group III stocks fairly can be considered synthetic, since their composition clearly shows them to be man-made. Just as important, these stocks possess properties and exhibit performance comparable to PAO in key areas such as oxidation stability, VI, and volatility. As a result, they are viable alternatives to PAO for formulating synthetic lubricants in both transportation and industrial applications. Moreover, the potential capacity for manufacturing such stocks is quite large, as much of the technology now deployed in making Group II stocks can be applied to manufacturing Group III. Therefore, substantial growth in the Group III market is expected as formulators take advantage of this new opportunity, leading to a significant acceleration in the growth of the synthetic market.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Mobil 1 Full synthetic is a great oil too. And its a lot cheaper. Just switched at 135k miles with a Mobil1 Filter and noticed a smoother, quieter engine. It's quicker and notice gas mileage improvements too..

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
106 Posts

This may be a dumb question, but why did you buy 7 qtz? Dosent the engine take 6? Also, I have used Slick50 in every car I have owned, this is the first time I have considered using synthetic. Should i be worried about mixing this type of oil and Slick50?

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
58 Posts
Travel tales

Just read about a TB going to Mexico. Is there a place on this site about long-distance trips...how the vehicle performs, etc. Might make interesting reading especially in the summer with so many people on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Mobil 1 Full synthetic is a great oil too. And its a lot cheaper. Just switched at 135k miles with a Mobil1 Filter and noticed a smoother, quieter engine. It's quicker and notice gas mileage improvements too..
:iagree: But I just found out my local Murrays carries the Amsoil full synthetic for $8.99 a quart. :woot: No shipping!

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but why did you buy 7 qtz? Dosent the engine take 6? Also, I have used Slick50 in every car I have owned, this is the first time I have considered using synthetic. Should i be worried about mixing this type of oil and Slick50?

Do NOT mix any additives in with the oil!! I mixed RESTORE and after 5 minutes of driving, my engine sputtered and stalled. SES light came on with 4 random codes. Our engines have many sensors that are very sensitive. Just use a good quality synthetic oil (Mobil1, RP, AMSOIL, Pennzoil Plat., etc) and you'll do fine. If you want, you can run half a can of seafoam in the crankcase for about 100 miles before switching over to synthetic. Seafoam will not harm your engine at all, it will just help clear out the sludge. Just dont keep it in there for too long. Thats what i did.

Also, use a good quality filter...basically anything but FRAM.

·
Registered
36 Posts
don't know what the impetus for using synthetic is

as long as you use a good quality oil and change regularly...some cars/trucks are formulated for synthetic so the design takes advantage of those properties. Synthetic is probably better if your use of the vehicle follows schedule maintenance #2 - lots of starts stops, offroading and hot climate.

but I do suggest an AC/Delco oil filter - its the best for GM engines especially helps if you have valve lifter bleed down issues.

regards:yes:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
276 Posts
Don't use Slick 50 :nono: It's Teflon based and if the engine overheats will turn to a powder. I know all about the test results good and bad and would rather save you the problem.

I've been using Mobil 1 products, engine oil, gear oil and tranny fluid in pretty much any vehicle I buy with less than 100,000 miles with great satisfaction. I also use the KNN oil filter line and do a change around 5,000 miles with the syn oil.

I prefered the 5w40 version but they changed it a bit and it's now a diesel oil, a tad different additives, so i'm back to the 5w30.

All in all it's a preference, best thing to do is stick to the same brand of oil if you have a choice, most conventional oils are using one of two base stocks, it's the additives they put in that change the oil package. Changing oil brands adds different additives and on occasion can result in the engine not 'agreeing' with the change causing things like leaks, oil burn etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
thanks guys, i switched to synth and did not use slick50. engine idol is smoother and better feel at highway speeds and acceleration. Will try the AC/Delco filter at next change.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
I've been using amsoil for the last 2 years and wanted to try a different type of oil........went with mobil1 syn.........also much cheaper($50less).....reading a couple threads on the mobil1 and heard nothing but great reviews.......its been 2 weeks since and IMO noticed a difference in the way my vehicle performs....I don't have test results but I can feel it and the way it drives.......maybe its just me......but in about 6 months or so.....I'm going back to amsoil........its just preference......

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
I've been using amsoil for the last 2 years and wanted to try a different type of oil........went with mobil1 syn.........also much cheaper($50less).....reading a couple threads on the mobil1 and heard nothing but great reviews.......its been 2 weeks since and IMO noticed a difference in the way my vehicle performs....I don't have test results but I can feel it and the way it drives.......maybe its just me......but in about 6 months or so.....I'm going back to amsoil........its just preference......
I'm due next month and will be switching to the Amsoil. Heard nothing but good things and now that O'reilly's stocks it even better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts