Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting tired of white-knuckling myself down the interstate, and was wondering if replacing the sway bar with Hotchkiss #2272 for $270 and sway bar ends with Moog $50 might improve my towing experience. I tow a 25 ft travel trailer weighing 5500 lbs. Any advice?

For example, going down the highway in North Dakota, and OH! OH! here comes yet another convoy of those gigantic shale fracking trucks blowing me all over the road. Sucks.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
39 Posts
My understanding is that they make a kit that has the front bushings and the rear bar, bushings, and I think links. People on this site seem to be ok with Hotchkiss, not not many bad reviews on these forums. Apparently the bushings included firm up the front end and the bar kit in the rear seems to make a big difference. I think for towing it will help dampen some of the induced Sway but with out having the shocks and springs for that application I would think it won't remedy the problem entirely. Though it's not a total waste because you will feel the difference when not towing too.

·
Registered
2005 chevy
23 Posts
This is almost the same question I was about to search for. I was wondering if there were thicker or better sway bars front and rear for trailblazers. Whenever I owned an older model Elantra, I put a Tiburon rear sway bar on it because it was thicker and I also put on a tower strut bar. Huge difference in handling after.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
39 Posts
Yeah the Hotchkiss set up has the bushing for the front. The trailblazer has a rather thick sway bar stock so replacements for that bar don't seem abundant. But the rear bar is a improvement from stock. I think it's like 27mm and tubular steel design. The stock is thicker and I think solid but still provides a softer feel allowing more roll. Before you guys commit to the hotchkis you may want to look at belltech and addco. There also is a thread that was started about this and might help with the stabilizer bar conundrum.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=37348#/forumsite/20572/topics/37348?page=1

Sway bars are to control body roll and provide some stability in turns. Towing utilizes several sub systems so a heavy duty spring and shock might also make the truck more stiff and helping to provide more control and stability when towing. Also if I recall correctly the max tow cap is around 6 to 6.5k lbs and at 5.5k lbs your nearing the max rated tow cap. Gotta keep in mind the trailvoy wasn't meant to have the same payload as the more full size suvs like the tahoe/suburban/expedition or even the full size pick ups and so on.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
71 Posts
I have the Hotchkiss swaybar kit on my truck. It does not come with links, but it does come with a rear bar and bushings for front and rear. I also replaced the rear links and front links with new higher end ones. It is noticeable but for me, it wasn't a MASSIVE difference. I have the 5.3 engine so I wonder if my rear swaybar might be stiffer than the i6's to begin with?

That said, I had also previously replaced all four springs with much stiffer springs, replaced the shocks with stiffer shocks, and got new on/off road 275 meaty tires. But I did everything separately, so it was little incremental improvements that have now added up to a pretty good ride. Still not the sports-car like ride I was hoping for, but I was also specifically against lowering so this is probably as good as it can get. I wouldn't mind even stiffer shocks (i went withe bilsteins) and even stiffer swaybar. I suppose if I had upgraded to the 18" wheels from the 17"s, that probably would have helped a bit too but those 18"s are hard to find.

So in conclusion, it's probably not going to make a huge difference but it will help and it will be nice. You probably want stiffer rear springs though, that will likely make the most difference when towing. There are 10 different 'stiffness' levels for the front springs. The rears aren't as clear cut, I ended up just buying moog EXT springs for the rear. Since I am short wheelbase, that makes them firmer for me and they feel pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts