Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:Ok, I just bought a set for the front SB links, I did that because I believe somewhere on here ppl were stating that if you can grab the link, and twist it easily and hear a loud banning noise driving on rough roads and bumps, get new ones. Is that the same for the back? I am going to replace the fronts tonight, if they aren't too bad to take off. Same thing for the backs too??

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,121 Posts
Wasn't there a 'how to' for sway bar bushing replacement? Mine has an incredibly annoying 'creak and squeak' now.. Already replaced the end links...

Thinking this is more a shock/spring issue more than anything else.. I know it's time to replace them... 80k on stockers. Just need to replace them with something good.. and CHEAP. Money is ultra tight right now...Considered the Avalance rears, but I really don't want the rear kicked up any higher without the front coming up at least as much. I'd really rather have the front LEVEL with the rear....

Any ideas/advice?

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Most of the time (with gm vehicles that I've had) 'creak and squeak' come from the control arm bushings.

The sway bar bushings are real easy to change, just remove the clamps, turn the bushing and it can be pulled off.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
172 Posts
My 2002 has been squeaking and creaking for the last couple years and it's driving me insane. I plan on keeping the car another couple years, so I want to get this fixed.

There see to be a number of posts on sway bars, links, bushing, etc. Is there one single thread that has all the info need to replace these, such as where to buy them and how to install them - maybe with pictures? Can these be replaced by the average joe or does it require a someone with a little more skill and patience?

Thanks, everyone.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The SB bushings are easier to change than the oil. The end links are harder if the shaft turns with the nut.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys - ok here's the scoop -

I got the new SB Links on!! Not as hard as some ppl may say. And yes the 'average joe' can replace them. I don't have pics right now, for some reason my wife has the camera hidden or something, but when I get it I will post some pics. I didn't get any of me actually taking them off, but just some of what was going on and why i had the clunking sound. Lets just say the "clunk" is gone!! gimme a little bit to 1 - find my camera - and two to upload them. :crazy:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
48 Posts
Where did you get the SB links with grease fittings?
When my wife had the Envoy in a few weeks ago to get the tires rotated
the guy told her she needed to replace the SB bushings and links.
I'd like to get ones with grease fittings if I'm going to change them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That hits a little close to home. I got under my truck after I read rrufast's post and the sway bar links (these =are= the links right?) look EXACTLY like rrufast's old ones, all cracked and split with grease remnants.

I,too, would like to know where you got the replacement parts with the grease fittings.

I also have a couple questions: I see you've got the car jacked up. Must it be jacked up, can do you do it on ramps, or right on the ground? Not sure if the idea is to take the pressure off the wheel. Also, I see an allen wrench in there what looks like a regular socket wrench, or is that some other tool? Do I need to get a torque wrench to get these to a specific tightness?

Sorry for all the questions, but now that I see a light at the end of the squeaky tunnel, I'm pretty excited!

Does anyone have pictures of the where the sway bar bushings are?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rrufast - awsome pictures showing good details on this.

I have a video here showing my old ones how they twist, but they are NOT to go in and out like my old ones do here:

I bought mine from Napa Auto - looks just like rrufast - what's really nice is that they ARE greasable - but don't grease it when you put them on, since they are pre-grease. wait a couple months first before that. They were (I got them at dealer price) $45.00 at NAPA. Moog's are nice yes, but I didn't find one that was greasable.

Mine was easy to change, yes it's a allen wrench. Try to use a long one so you don't have to use vise grips to hold them. You need to lift the weight off the tire to do it....i jacked mine up and put it on stands.....just use caution cause i know i was sitting in the wheel well workin on them.

give me a couple min for my photos to upload with the video and i'll post them.

no more clunking sound - i never heard a squeeking....jut clunks - now nothing. the bushing is called the "Sway Bar Suspension Bushing" which is mounted on the frame with two bolts, just where the bend in the bar is you'll see it. With a rubber insert, some now i think are poly but rubber is all i know of. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks, countryboy08. I only have one jack so I'll replace one at a time. Interesting that you mentioned clunking. I have no clunking (yet), but I do have a lot of squeaking and creaking. If I hit a dip in the road or a driveway, as the truck rocks gently from side to side or to and fro, it makes a horrible squeaking noise. That's what I'm trying to get rid of. I suppose there are a few things that probably need replacement.

My dealer wants $94 each for the sway bar links. For 02 TB, I think I'll go with Moog for half the price.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't go to a stealership - Go with Moog or Napa brand. Napa brand are the greasable ones. Advance Auto has Moog - Napa Brand has greasable. :m2:

WELL WORTH THE ONE DAY SHIPPING TIME TO GET THEM DONE!! Now sway or clunk. Any help IM me or reply in here. We're all here to help!! :) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,121 Posts
I wanted MOOG but wound up going to NAPA. $38 each... I forget who the NAPA guy said the links were made by but I've seen a few posters here on TV who have used them.

One thing.. when you replace them.. be sure to recheck them in a week or two.. Mine actually worked loose a little on the left side... The right side, OTOH, was rock solid.. :)

Now I need to replace the front sway bar bushings... It's sqeaking pretty bad, especially when it;'s damp or wet out....

·
Registered
172 Posts
You guys are great. I'll probably get this done within the next few weeks as soon as I can carve out a little time.

rrufast, when you change your bushings, if you could please get a couple pictures of what you're doing, I would =really= appreciate it.

I'm not too concerned with the part being greasable. The original ones on my truck lasted 7 years - not a bad life. A new set could last just as long, plus they are inexpensive. Am I really going to keep this truck 14 years? As much as I love it, probably not. I think it's got only another 2 or 3 years before I sell it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts