Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching through the forum about a clunking noise coming from the front end when hitting bumps. Everything seems to point to the sway bar end links. I took some advice found here about going out and trying to move the sway bar so I did. I was able to slide the sway bar back and forth about 1 inch but there was no other movement than that...does this sound like I need to replace the end links? Should there be any movement in the sway bar at all?

Thanks

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
It sounds like you need sway bar bushings at the very least. But the test for end links is to try moving the END LINKS, not the sway bar. If the end links move easily or you hear a rattling noise when you give them a good hard shake, they need replacing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've been doing a bit more research here and think I know what to look for now. Looks like a very common problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Driver's side end link is firm, Passenger side end link is toast...easy to find when you know what your looking for. I'll hunt around locally for the part and replace them myself.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
352 Posts
i replaced mine this year (scratch that, last year now). had the same noises. went with the MOOG brand. no issues with them yet. I would suggest you check them a few times after installing them. either just didnt have them tight enough or they worked loose. been fine since they were tighten again a week or two after the install.

liked the moogs also because they have serviceable grease fittings on them.

just my :m2:

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
Driver's side end link is firm, Passenger side end link is toast...easy to find when you know what your looking for. I'll hunt around locally for the part and replace them myself.
You can get the Moogs online at Rockauto.com and they are fairly reasonable. They also have zerk fitting so you can grease them periodically.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked RockAuto but they only have the left (or right) listed for the front...not both. I checked the rears and they are shot as well, guess I'll be looking at replacing all 4. No one stocks them locally so I'll be ordering them online. I'm having trouble locating the moogs and from what I've read it really doesn't matter what brand I buy. I've given up on caring what brand I get...a new one will be better than a worn out one anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what do you have for miles,,seems soon to need replacing on a 2006
Not sure exactly but I think its around 52,000. I think the front one has been bad for quite a while though...probably could have had it fixed while it was under warranty...oh well.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I checked RockAuto but they only have the left (or right) listed for the front...not both. .....
That's weird that they only have the front left, and not the right :undecided.

You could get the Spicer.....their about the same as the Moog....I wouldn't have any problem using them at all.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
88 Posts
My clunking sound came after I got an alignment done. I'm taking it back to see if they left bushing loose or something. It starting clunking right out of that shop :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
I checked RockAuto but they only have the left (or right) listed for the front...not both. I checked the rears and they are shot as well, guess I'll be looking at replacing all 4. No one stocks them locally so I'll be ordering them online. I'm having trouble locating the moogs and from what I've read it really doesn't matter what brand I buy. I've given up on caring what brand I get...a new one will be better than a worn out one anyway.
I ordered the front left and right Spicer brand from RockAuto. There have been mixed reviews about the Moogs and little info if any about the Spicer. RockAuto said that Spicer has been around a long time and they're good so I gave them a shot. My only beef with RockAuto is that shipping for the end links and bushings was about $22. Kind of steep.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4 Posts
Ordered my MOOG front end links from RockAuto 12/31. They showed up 1/2! Total price with shipping was $56.87 ($23.79 per side + $9.29 shipping). Installed them 1/3. No more clunking!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
9 Posts
Although I couldn't get swaybar movement by hand on either side, I was sure (hoping) the clunk in the drivers side front suspension was do to the end links. Replaced mine with moog end links from Rockauto.com Friday & the ClUNK is gone. I also put in the Hotchkiss Rear Swaybar & front bushings. I only have 36K miles and was surprised to have found 3 bad links (worst was front left-both joints loose).

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
140 Posts
I'm going to tackle this soon. I cant seem to find a write up on the "how to" What size is the hex? What size is the nut? Does 18mm sound right for the nut?
Thanks

·
Registered
gmc envoy_slt
115 Posts
i replaced my bushing and most the noise is gone. The end links were TIGHT, i could not move them that easy at all. I reinstalled all of them and it seems there still is a little higher pitched rattle. I am not sure what it is, but the end links seem great. Has anyone had balljoints or tierod ends go bad at 50k

·
Registered
2003 chevy
46 Posts
Ball Joints

I didn't know the front had end links too. I know the rear does. Shop said my front ball joints were shot today at 70K miles. It was ruining my new tires.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts