Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 chevy trailblazer and I'm wanting to swap a v6 vortec engine in place of factory iL6 on my 2003 trailblazer. Is this possible?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've got a 4.3Vortec in my 2000 Astro Van and although it's a great engine and lasts forever - I think you'd lose a lot of low end torque by switching over to it.

Straight 6'es have a lot of torque and the front drive axle might be a problem - but ---- if you switch over to a K5-type front axle - it might work and actually - mentally making pictured of it - it looks pretty cool.

Just match up the differential ratios and I'm pretty sure you can even use the 4.2 transfer case if your like.

Computer problems will rise however - and THAT'S gonna be a task. I'd start learning line-code writing as soon as possible.

But --- yeah ---- you can put anything in there you want - it's all do-able.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
342 Posts
I have a 03 chevy trailblazer and I'm wanting to swap a v6 vortec engine in place of factory iL6 on my 2003 trailblazer. Is this possible?
Not sure if that's possible....but if you attempt it be sure and post lots of pictures along with your progress.
Maybe just easier to buy a Trailblazer with the V8 as factory installed?

Either way, all the best of luck to you

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
26 Posts
I don't know why you want to do this. It is possible, but will be quite a task. I had an Astro Van with that engine, and loved it. However I also love my I6 TrailBlazer, and it has better low end torque as already mentioned.

·
Registered
34 Posts
From what I'm reading of everyone's replies, I'm thinking it would be less of a chore to just find a Tahoe that needs an engine and put the 4.3 in it. The computer from a Silverado pickup should work, I'd think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts