Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my TB lifted with 33" tires for a year now and my suspension is sitting very low compared to how it was in the past. Keep in mind I have the Kennesaw bumper installed too. I even replaced my shocks with bilsteins and it feels like it sat even lower after the install! Well I drive off road a lot and I think I have worn out my suspension somehow.

Ok, well a few weeks ago I was told that the stock coilover rubber bushings - number 18 in the diagram were bound to wear out. And I think they did. Either that or something else even worse happened.

should I replace them, or should I just get the BDS front end lift and toss the spacers? Any suggestions. I want my suspension up front to go back up. My tires rub and I have cut the plastic in the wheel well as far as I can go, Now im getting tire rub on the metal of my TB's body!

HELP ME DECIDE WHAT TO DO! Some of you guys know these vehicles alot better than me and I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
The bushings do get replaced when upgrading to the BDS suspension kit. That will help, but it won't affect your ride height. That will affect how well your shocks work. Especially in minor bumps. It will help ride quality, but not height.

You may be experiencing spring fatigue. With the added weight of your front bumper, and if you drive off road often, you may have weakened the springs. If you can, replace the springs with some low mileage scrappers and upgrade to the BDS. You'll notice a big difference.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I would agree. I think I have about an inch of spring set in the front. That makes the potential coilover upgrade with higher spring rate springs more important.

When I severely overloaded the Envoy on my Sierra 2007 trip, and then blew out the Airlift bags and was running on the bump stops for a couple hundred hard miles, my OEM rear springs took a 2" set. Permanently deformed. Didn't get the desired height back until I put in the Avalanche Z71 springs with the larger air bags they needed.

If you do buy replacement front springs, do your best to get the highest spring rate possible out of the dozen they used. Remember the spring rate chart thread? Rumor is that the GM replacement offerings are only about three choices, and they only sell them after you give them your VIN. You might do better at a recycler. Not sure if V8 or I6 have the higher spring rates, but 4X4 would definitely be stiffer then 2WD VINs.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
330 Posts
If you do buy replacement front springs, do your best to get the highest spring rate possible out of the dozen they used. Remember the spring rate chart thread? Rumor is that the GM replacement offerings are only about three choices, and they only sell them after you give them your VIN. You might do better at a recycler. Not sure if V8 or I6 have the higher spring rates, but 4X4 would definitely be stiffer then 2WD VINs.
Would you know a reseller to buy front springs from?? I still have that damn lean to the left and want to get new springs all the way around to see if it will fix it....

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Not much on Ebay right now in a search for "trailblazer springs" or "trailblazer strut", but there are some.

Nobody ever found an aftermarket source except custom spring winders, which are way more expensive than the dealer.

Best bet would be to ask in the suspension forum or check the classifieds for folks who have put on lowering spring kits and want to sell their takeoffs.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So new springs?

So it seems like getting new springs might be the right thing to do. Am I right?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Or hold out for the Icon Dynamics coilovers, spend $1000, and get beefier springs and shocks all at once. Getting new springs might give you a bit of a boost, but you'd have to measure the old ones to confirm the guess is right.

I think almost everybody else with 33's is running a body lift along with the suspension lift, so they aren't seeing the effect of spring degradation the same way you are, since their wheelwell metal is further out of the way. I should mention it to Teebes, to see if he has some measurements from a year ago to compare to today.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
203 Posts
what about gmpartsdirect.com if you want regular replacement. their pricing isnt too bad just shipping on some stuff

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,055 Posts
Ok, well a few weeks ago I was told that the stock coilover rubber bushings - number 18 in the diagram were bound to wear out. And I think they did. Either that or something else even worse happened.

should I replace them, or should I just get the BDS front end lift and toss the spacers? Any suggestions. I want my suspension up front to go back up. My tires rub and I have cut the plastic in the wheel well as far as I can go, Now im getting tire rub on the metal of my TB's body!

HELP ME DECIDE WHAT TO DO! Some of you guys know these vehicles alot better than me and I appreciate your help.
First thing you need to do is to see if the rubber bushings (#18) are actually torn. I don't think they can just "wear out". I know that when I loaded up the front of my blue Trailblazer with the Curt hitch receiver, the MileMarker guard and winch carrier, and the Winch, they actually tore in about 3 months.

Although its obviously much easier to see if they are torn when off the vehicle, I think you can see using a flashlight and looking in the engine bay.

What you are looking for is where the shock rod is attached - in the middle of the bushing. The rubber forms a sort of "cup" towards the middle which has a short metal tube attached to the rubber.

On mine, the tear was where the metal was attached to the rubber, causing the front to sag noticeably. It also felt very "mushy" when going over bumps. Once I got the BDS kit the height was back to where it should have been (plus the little extra the BDS gives).

I used the same springs so I new that they were OK. This lasted for over a year with no further sag and it feeling rock solid due to the BDS poly bushings (until the tree).

Now, I don't want to make it sound like getting the BDS will solve your problem. I don't know if your bushings are torn, or your springs are shot, or both. And I also don't know how heavy your bumper is compared to the stuff I had on the front. (That's why I went with coilovers the second time around).

So that's why I am saying to check the bushings first. If you can get some pictures from the top (in the engine bay), maybe I can give you some feedback.

AG

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...If you can get some pictures from the top (in the engine bay), maybe I can give you some feedback.
Here's a shot of mine (long ago - first generation SMAXX mod) with the mounting nuts off. But it shows the height of the shock rod and washer on top of the bushing. If it's separating, I'd expect the washer to be higher than the round opening lip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts