Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 438 Posts

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna restart this thread since my last one got moved...

First of all, it's going into a 1987 Turbo:

And here's the engine coming home. It's out of a 2006 TB with 23k miles. The truck was hit in the rear, so the motor is pristine:

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The oil pan came off right away, as it needs a rear sump. I started by building a rear pickup tube.

Pan off, check out those mains!

Drilling new holes for the pickup. The mains are aluminum:

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are those pony wheels on that supra? and good luck, how are you gonna wire it?
Yep, Mustang 35th anniversary.
I'm gonna use the stock PCM. The wiring will be minimal-just interfaces to the car like fuel pump, gauges, etc.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
257 Posts
considering how much lighter that supra is compared to a tb/envoy and how respectably quick they are with this motor.... your going to have yourself a sweet lil ride:thumbsup:
good luck!

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's the extended oil pickup. Started with a pickup from an I5 colorado, as they are rear sump. Cut, splice in another 4", and you're at the right length. I chose to braze instead of weld for fear of damaging the metal.

I checked the braze by letting oil sit in the tube. Several days later, no leaks. Much easier than welding.

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going to have the local welder weld me up an oil pan - by splicing an I5 pan with the I6 pan. He quoted me $700, so I decided to take a break from the pan and work on engine mounts.
Also, I picked up a core engine so that I could work on fabrication without fear of damaging the 06 motor.

Here's my first mockups using the core engine. With no pan on, I can set it right into the chassis:

The pics are hazy from all the welding I'd been doing with the doors closed.

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The TB engine is tall. With a stock crossmember, it would probably poke through the hood a couple inches.

So I made these:

They're combination crossmember spacers and engine mounts. This way I don't have to weld on the Supra chassis. The mounts are made from 1.5" x 1.5" solid steel stock with 1/8" sheet steel welded on to form the engine mounting points.

Here they are bolted between the frame and crossmember:

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now I can lower the engine on to the mounts!

Hmm, it's sitting a little crooked. My driver side mount came out a little taller than I intended. Next step rework that and try to fit the bellhousing...

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
damn...looks good. Some guy on here wanted to do the same on a newer supra, but said he couldn't get it in because the engine was too tall. hopefully you won't run into that problem later on...

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
If money was no object I would do the opposite

Supra 2JZGTE with a Boost Logic Auto tranny in the Trailblazer :drool:drool:eek::eek:

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
very nice man, seems to be moving right along... are you gonna badge it with a chevy symbol when your done?:laugh:
No way! I was actually considering trying to disguise the engine as a Toyota 7M.

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
damn...looks good. Some guy on here wanted to do the same on a newer supra, but said he couldn't get it in because the engine was too tall. hopefully you won't run into that problem later on...
Worst case, I'll have a custom hood. With my mods to the crossmember, I think it's gonna close, though.

1 - 20 of 438 Posts