Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2007 trailblazer with the bose system. I just hooked up 2 12" kicker shallow subs to a lanzar vibe 276 amp. they were working completely well for about a week. then they started randomly turning on and off. I went somewhere with my subs on and when i came back in the car to leave, the subs refused to turn on. The amp is on but the subs just wont play. please help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think its at 4 ohms and i tapped into the rear amp in the trunk with the rca's

·
Banned
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
211 Posts
i think its at 4 ohms and i tapped into the rear amp in the trunk with the rca's
Thinking isn't knowing. If you wired your speakers in a 1 ohm or 2 ohm configuration it would fault the sub, and quickly destroy it due to lack of resistance. Use this - http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/reviews/20040427/subs_amps_guide.html?print=1&page=all

As for "tapped" how did you tap into them. Did you purchase some sort of device? Just cut some wires? etc. Let us know more and we can help you.

Your amplifier could have just gone "bad", how old is it? Also I have had amps that turn on, but wont put out the juice due to speaker wire shorting out on carpet, tape, etc. Also some amps appear on but have a bad ground. Check the Ground and Speaker wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about that, so I have two 4 ohm single voice coil subs hooked up to a 2-ch amp. The amp is brand new and so are the subs. The amp is 4 ohm stable at two channels. And as for wire tapping, I did this http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=40817

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have the amp in the small compartment in the floor of the trunk. So I have the cable connected to the metal thing that connects the top part of the compartment. But if the ground was incorrect, wouldn't it just not turn on in the first place?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, I'm not home so I can't post a photo. I thinks it's not a very good ground but could it just work for a few days and then possibly just stop?

·
Banned
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
211 Posts
When you drive stuff gets loose. It doesen't take much to loosen a ground. Just make sure the entire contact surface is metal (not aluminum) and has no paint or anything like that on it. It also needs to be secured tightly, to the point where you can not wiggle or move it by hand. Also, if you put the 2 - 4 ohm subs on one channel of the amp, the amp sees 2 ohms. Just a reminder. 4 ohm stable amps are generally lower quality. I prefer, even if I am not going to use 1 or 2 ohm, to go with a 1 ohm or 2 ohm stable amp. Just for the reassurance. (don't get me wrong they make a lot of ****ty 1 ohm and 2 ohm stable amps too) I suggest Hooking up only one sub to see if you can get it to work, also, the remote wire thing is huge. Check the remote (turn-on) wire for looseness, etc, just like ground.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
24 Posts
check which fuse they are wired too.. my friend had something happen to his pontiac. wrong fuse will not give enough power and shut off

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they actually turned on for about 3 seconds this morning then shut off. ill have to check all the wiring when i get home tonight. im just worrying if the subs themselves are messed up. would two single voice coil 4 ohm subs hook up to a 2 ch amp fine, and btw the amp is 2 ohm stable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went home and redid some wiring and now they work fine. Thanks guys I was really freaking out over a small problem

1 - 19 of 19 Posts