Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Trailbazer for a few months and in my opinion it's definitely the best vehicle I've driven.
I really enjoy my music but don't really have much money to spend on an after-market system. I figured that I could start with a fairly decent sub but I really didn't want to spend more than 250$.
The sub that I want is the Rockford Fosgate P1L-1X12

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P1L1X12/Rockford-Fosgate-P1L-1X12.html?tp=112

from reading other threads I've gathered that overpowering isn't really that big of a problem and I was considering getting this amp

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UXV3TW/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ANZ5B8ZZ261JD

I'm really not trying to break the bank too hard but I haven't had much luck in searching for the right wattage amp. Ideally, I would really like to be able to mount the amp on the right passenger side in the space available that has a removable panel.

I have the stock HU currently and plan to keep it in. I've seen several different methods for tapping into the audio in the rear speakers one of them involving this piece of hardware:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5265_PAC+SNI-35.html
any advice on hooking that up would be great

Sadly, I'm not completely familiarized with the wiring in the 02 Trailblazer (or in any car for that matter).
what I do know is that I plan on running the ground wire to one of the seat bolts after I get the paint off. I also heard advice to run my remote line from the amp to the wiper circuit but I am not fully aware of how to do that. I am fairly clear on the process of wiring the power line through the fire wall but I feel like I should be able to utilize the 12 amp port in the trunk.

Finally, I need to decide my wire gauge as well as the wires needed. I would really be interested in self-tapping connectors but I just don't know what to look for.

Thanks for looking, any advice is helpful.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
83 Posts
Personally, it would be hard for me to want to go through the hassle of taking the stock radio out to wire stuff up and then put it back in. Especially with some of the problems we've heard about them.

Do you have a Bose or non-Bose system. That will make a difference in what you do. I would run a search and do some reading about it here.

As for subs, if you're looking to save some money, try your local Craigslist. Instead of spending $250 to get $250 worth of stuff retail (plus tax), you can spend $250 on Craigslist and get 5-$600 worth of used, but better equipment pretty easily. That's what I did for my subs and amp anyway.

You're probably referring to the 12 volt port, not amp, in the truck. Those have small wires going to them and in no way would you want to try to run anything off of those. 4 gauge wire is what I used and would be more than enough for what you're trying to do. There was a rubber ball type cover in the firewall to run it through with the other wires. It's behind the carpet inside. Then run it under the trim and under the floor covers to the back seat if you want. Very easy to do. I put some of that black wire loom on it to protect it from heat and also from getting cut and shorting out on something. The stuff is cheap and makes it look more professional. 4 AWG takes 1/2" wire loom.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have non-bose, im really just wondering where to put the remote line now and if I can hook up my amp sends to the rear outputs.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
117 Posts
For my remote line i went to autozone and got an add-a-circuit and connected my remote line to that. I used the rear fuse panel and tapped into the windshield wiper fuse and it works fine

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Looking in the owner's manual, fuse #11 in the rear block is for the amplifier. Not sure if non Bose systems have that fuse or not, since I'm at work, I can't verify in my truck for myself. Can't see why they wouldn't have it though. I've used those add-a-circuits a couple of times, they are very handy for stuff like this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts