Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been reading about what type of oil for the differential to use other than available at the dealer. I was there this morning and they quoted me the price per liter US$ 75 plus US$ 35 for labor per hour, that is a total of US$ 225 for the oil plus tax plus labor. :bonk: (triple the Price from Previous change).

I have been asking around about 75w-90 Synthetic oil, and the best found here in Jordan are Liqui Moly and Wurth German made priced at US$19.

I did change the ATC oil at the dealer, for a cost of US$ 50 with labor at discount Promotion they have now.

The dealer says that no other oil will be suitable for the transfer case and the differentials other than GM.

Will any Synthetic 75w-90 oil will do, like what I mentioned above. :confused:
The car have now about 88K.

Thanks to all, this have been a very helpfull forum.

Ghaith

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
get Royal Purple, i picked mine up for like 17 a quart
But it will cost him $50.00 to get it shipped in.
After looking at Liqui Moly website it does not look like they have compatable Trans fluid or diff oils.
I cannot find lub. on Wurth's website.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply,

But I forget to say I am located in Jordan and we do not have Royal Purple or Mobile 1, we mostly have oil from Europe and Gulf Countries.

As for the Eurpean oil, Lqui Moly and Wurth are the best in here.

Ghaith

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The differentials will run fine with any quality synthetic oil. The tranfer case must be GM. No one else makes a compatible oil that I've seen.

Can you get Amsoil in Jordan?

What's the deal with shipping -- is there an import tax, or just costly for the distance? I ship packages to friends stationed in Iraq and the cost isn't that much.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your input.

The Labor is kind of cheap,, but you never get to know the actual time the work takes, there is no reference manual that you get to see.

Any way there are good reliable mechanics that you can use to fix the car, and all of you are making things easier, I read on the sugject I need then I go to the mechanic and tell him what to do exactly and give him the diagnosis as I read them here.

The high price is due that he is the sole agent for the GM, high taxes and sales tax of 16% and huge profits.

I kept looking today for oil and found this one (made by 76) and meet GL-5, which I think I wil go with, What do you think guys.

P.S. It is costly by air, my PCM cost US$ 50 for shipping, and they do not ship oil, or anything under pressure anymore like shocks in planes.

Thanks for everybody.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I might be missing it but I do not see the word "Synthetic" on the label.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
All the new GM differential oils are full synthetic. Have been for a while now. They also spec Mobil 1 synthetic in the Corvette and Trailblazer SS.

Other manufacturers, and all the race teams in every venue are doing likewise.

It is only the man on the street that still thinks that synthetic oils are some sort of snake oil -- mostly due to cost or type of marketing, Amsoil, for example, which sells directly or through distributors instead of on the shelf at Wal Mart.

There is NO downside to synthetic oils of any type -- period.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your input, I was out of town since my last post with oil picture, I noticed after I post it it was not synthetic, I will start tomorrow searching for oil, as I found some mobile 1 oil in some srevice station but it was not 75w-90 synthetic oil.

Hope I will find something soon, or else I would have to go to dealer.

Thanks all

Ghaith

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 which is a full synthetic in my 2002 front and rear diffs. For the transfer case you HAVE to use the GM fluid, nothing else out there meets the requirements for the fluid so you're stuck paying a premium for it.

Sorry I cant help more with your dilemma, good luck finding it out! Otherwise you'll have to go to the GM guy and suck up the price.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
For the transfer case you HAVE to use the GM fluid, nothing else out there meets the requirements for the fluid so you're stuck paying a premium for it.
At about 8 bucks a quart US, there's not much of a premium being charged. It doesn't really make sense to go chasing after other brands when the price is so reasonable and it is available at any Chevy or GMC parts department.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Hello everybody and thanks to who contributed,

Well I figured I just take a trip to the USA and get some and come back to Jordan.

No, really a business trip just came up and will be travelling to the states, exactly to New York city, and will be staying for 10 days, and I have a free day, where I will visit Autozone, to buy the oil and take it with me, hopefully they will let it go with cargo.

Again, thanks everybody for your help and support, I never thought I will learn so much about my car as I have learned from this sight.

Thabks and Regards, :thx:thx:thx:thx

Ghaith

·
Registered
497 Posts
There is NO downside to synthetic oils of any type -- period.
Except for price... But I agree that they are far superior, and are generally worth the cost difference for the level of protection that they provide.

Some people extend service intervals by using synthetics -- which can offset the cost difference -- but I wouldn't feel safe doing that without oil analysis, which would cost as much as the oil change... so I still swap the oil every 3k.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
It's your money but, 3k miles is really a waste. Specially with the seven qts we use in the I6. Seventy-five hundred is to early for synthetic. But much more reasonable than 3k. Unless you're driving through a lot of sand storms.:m2:

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's your money but, 3k miles is really a waste. Specially with the seven qts we use in the I6. Seventy-five hundred is to early for synthetic. But much more reasonable than 3k. Unless you're driving through a lot of sand storms.:m2:
On my previous vehicle, 3k was the recommended change interval.

On the TB, I'll probably push it to 5k. I prefer to follow the "severe" service schedule, since most of my driving is split between city/short_trips, and dirt roads.

I've never gone 7.5k between changes. That would be only 1 change per year.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
On my previous vehicle, 3k was the recommended change interval.

On the TB, I'll probably push it to 5k. I prefer to follow the "severe" service schedule, since most of my driving is split between city/short_trips, and dirt roads.

I've never gone 7.5k between changes. That would be only 1 change per year.
I'd say that you can at least get away with waiting for the oil service indicator to light before changing on the Trailblazer. I typically run my Amsoil for 15-20K between changes -- once a year for me. The oil service indicator will probably light up around 7500 or so. Perfectly safe.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
if i went by the oil change light it would be over 8000 miles between changes thats how far it has been since i reset the light at 80000 and now it is at 88342. i change it every 5000 miles regard less of the light

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.