Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 3SS AWD with 37,000 miles. It's been running great until today. I attempted to start and get nothing but a single loud click - it does not even attempt to turn over. The headlights turn on, stereo works and wipers will run. I just had a new battery put in 1 month go, checked all the connections but cant get anything more than the click.

From what I have been reading, it appears that the starter may be stuck. I am seeing suggestions to hit it with a hammer to try to get it working. Two questions:

1) Is the starter easy to access? I've read that I can get to it through the passenger side wheel well. Is that the best way to get to it? Is it located near the front or the rear of the wheel well?

2) should I actually try hitting it with a hammer?

The car is currently stuck in my driveway and I'm really trying to avoid having to tow it to the repair shop. Any suggestions to get it running would be most appreciated.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
yeah try hitting it. you can see it from the rear of the wheel well, its where the engine mates to the trans

and oh boy is it a joy changing one especially with awd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to get at it tomorrow - I'm really hoping hitting it will get it to start up. Seems like a fairly common problem with Trailblazers.

·
Premium Member
2006 gmc envoy_denali
861 Posts
I have an 06 3SS AWD with 37,000 miles. It's been running great until today. I attempted to start and get nothing but a single loud click - it does not even attempt to turn over. The headlights turn on, stereo works and wipers will run. I just had a new battery put in 1 month go, checked all the connections but cant get anything more than the click.

From what I have been reading, it appears that the starter may be stuck. I am seeing suggestions to hit it with a hammer to try to get it working. Two questions:

1) Is the starter easy to access? I've read that I can get to it through the passenger side wheel well. Is that the best way to get to it? Is it located near the front or the rear of the wheel well?

2) should I actually try hitting it with a hammer?

The car is currently stuck in my driveway and I'm really trying to avoid having to tow it to the repair shop. Any suggestions to get it running would be most appreciated.
Is it possible you have a malfunctioning ignition module. When mine went the start mode just died but I think I had other things working. You may want to search "ignition module" and read about the symptoms of a dead module

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
everything else functioning properly makes me think its not an ignition switch

the v8s are more vulnerable to starter problems as it is very close to the exhaust manifold without a heatshield to protect it. i've gone through 2 starters in 2 years.

·
Premium Member
2006 gmc envoy_denali
861 Posts
everything else functioning properly makes me think its not an ignition switch

the v8s are more vulnerable to starter problems as it is very close to the exhaust manifold without a heatshield to protect it. i've gone through 2 starters in 2 years.
Hope you are right. Just like our seat positioner's when they stick, just a little tap on the slide and they are good to go until next time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm really hoping you are right about tapping it. I just talked to Chevy and they want $700 + towing to fix it.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
well thats because the dealership is charging you $450 for a starter. go to the parts store and get one for $150, labor is 4hrs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, $450 is a joke. If I need to have it replaced I will be picking one up from the parts store. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Parts4chevys.com:

List Price : $463.42
Your Price : $259.52
Core Price: $45.00

Ebay $70-370.

Checking rockauto.com is left as an exercise for the student. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts