Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any tips on getting a nut off of my exhaust manifold on the flange where the exhaust pipe hooks up. I got the nut 3/4 the way off and now it just spins. I am assuming the the threads are gone on the stud or in the nut. The is the one closest to the motor So I don't have room for a die grinder or a nut cracker. I also don't have enough of the stud sticking out to get ahold of it and try pulling the stud.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
you might just have to find a way to cut that end off, but sounds like you already tried. best bet is to have it torched off. take it to an exhaust shop if you can, they shouldn't charge you that much to get it off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stuck Nut

If I were you, before I take it to a shop and have them torch it off. Try threading the nut back on. If it threads all the way back on fine then its the stud. I would then suggest getting some thread tape and go tape the thread from about 1/4" above where you have problems with it getting stuck, and tape all the way down to the bottom of the stud. This will give you a lot better chance for it to grab some threads and continuing to come off.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Looking for any tips on getting a nut off of my exhaust manifold on the flange where the exhaust pipe hooks up. I got the nut 3/4 the way off and now it just spins. I am assuming the the threads are gone on the stud or in the nut. The is the one closest to the motor So I don't have room for a die grinder or a nut cracker. I also don't have enough of the stud sticking out to get ahold of it and try pulling the stud.
Hi,
If you still haven't fixed it, get an electric welding machine. Disconnect the battery. Weld the nut to the stud. Be careful not to damage the hexagonal nut shape. let it cool down for 15 minutes. Use a wrench to loosen it. It will take the stud out with it.
Good luck

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The welding Idea is a good one. I Tried threading it back on and it didn't work.

The muffler shop wanted $80 to do it for me and I thought that was too much money. So since It was making a whistling noise that I am pretty sure was coming from the gasket on cylinder 1 and I need to replace the cat anyway I cut the pipe and pulled the manifold. Luckily no broken bolts in the head from pulling the manifold. The cat was very plugged up and blacked on the input side. Due to the previous owner driving it on only 4 cylinders for several months.

The treads were completely gone on the stud. I could wiggle the nut back and forth on the stud. I am soaking the studs now and will replace all of them. 2 of them are messed up and the third is not all that nice looking either.

Does anyone know the torque specs on the exhaust manifold bolts?

This Trailblazer has been a battle since the day he dropped it off but I am almost done and in it for less than 2K. and about 30 to 35 Hours labor.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The welding Idea is a good one. I Tried threading it back on and it didn't work.

The muffler shop wanted $80 to do it for me and I thought that was too much money. So since It was making a whistling noise that I am pretty sure was coming from the gasket on cylinder 1 and I need to replace the cat anyway I cut the pipe and pulled the manifold. Luckily no broken bolts in the head from pulling the manifold. The cat was very plugged up and blacked on the input side. Due to the previous owner driving it on only 4 cylinders for several months.

The treads were completely gone on the stud. I could wiggle the nut back and forth on the stud. I am soaking the studs now and will replace all of them. 2 of them are messed up and the third is not all that nice looking either.

Does anyone know the torque specs on the exhaust manifold bolts?

This Trailblazer has been a battle since the day he dropped it off but I am almost done and in it for less than 2K. and about 30 to 35 Hours labor.
18 ft. lbs. However: This is from a 2003 Service Manual for the I6. It reads: First pass 18 ft. lbs. Second pass 18 ft. lbs. Third pass 18 ft.lbs.:confused: And for the 5.3 V8: First pass 11 ft. lbs. Second pass 18 ft.lbs. If it was mine, I would do an 11 ft lb. pass then two 18 ft.lb. passes for the I6.:m2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.