Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 Envoy SLE

I've recently purchased an 02 Envoy from an auction.

There are a couple of issues.
The main one started last night. While at the store I put the truck in park and turn off the ignition. The ignition will not go into the lock position. I messed with the key and go it to turn off. Then started the truck to leave and couldn't put the truck in gear. I messed with the shifter and was able to put into gear. At that point the gear shifter would move from park to reverse without me pushing the break pedal. I drove home and could not turn the key all of the way off again. Moved gear selector from 1st to Park a few times and then was able to remove the key. I restarted the truck and could not move the gear selector again; however I was able to remove the key easily.

I am leaning towards replacing the "Neutral Safety Switch" on the tranny but with my symptoms, I've seen brake light switch, ignition, and solenoid at gear shift selection. I'm just looking for a bit more guidance before doing the work

Since I purchased the truck, I've replaced,
Battery
Ignition Coil
Cleaned Throttle Body (Thanks to this forum)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
6 Posts
There are a few small wires that tend to brake in the center counsel towards the back of the metal shifter frame.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the plug yesterday when I removed the console. I messed around with the wires and moved them around a bit but didn't find any broken ones. While console was removed I messed with the shifter and the key and it seemed to work both shifter and key were working fine. I put the console back together and started having the issue again.
I did figure out that if the key is stuck, if I tap the brakes while in park and turn the key back, I am able to turn off the truck.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the problem is in the wiring at the brake switch connected to the brake pedal. I messed around with those wires and pushed them allow the way back into the plug and all has bee good since. I'll continue to monitor and post back.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2 Posts
similar problems last night

Check the ground under the passenger side of the console. I had a similar issue but couldn't get a temporary solution like yours. If the ground is intermittent it could explain why you are up and running now, but could you get stranded. And its a 5 minute and free fix if that's the problem.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=97874

1 - 5 of 5 Posts