Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
388 Posts
If you wanna run a Pre-Fab tune on a custom turbo'd vehicle prepare to have a shell of a truck sitting in your driveway with a blown motor and trans

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So u have done it,

You are speaking from experience, if you research the internet you will see that there are people running 4.2l vortecs turbocharged, yes the 4l60E may not be able to handle the power but if I am going that far to put a turbo in don't you think I would get a 4l80 to handle the power, or have a built trans put in to take the stresses,

heres a site that has different 4l60's for different power levels

http://www.usmracer.com/

Take a look u would be supprized at where you will find what your looking for.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
303 Posts
If you want to turbo your 4.2, take a look around here, and see what you can find out. I'm guessing you'll come to the realization it's a lot more involved than simply bolting up STS' universal turbo kit and a new transmission.

·
Northeast Chapter
1,515 Posts
Turbo's and pre-fabbed tunes are bad news......do what you want, but every vehicle has it's own power curve, air/fuel ratio, etc. You can take 2 BRAND NEW Mustang GT's off the lot, with 2 miles on each, and I guarantee you will get slightly varying HP numbers on the dyno and their curves and ratios will be different. I had a 95 Camaro Z28, and a friend had the same car. Both were stock. We put the exact same supercharger setup on the cars. Mine blew up about 15K miles after I installed the charger, and his is still going with 165K miles on it. Every engine is different and will react differently to modifications.....just for your info....do with it what you wish...

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,307 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ohh I do agree.......

I agree, but its about having the one off, truck. I am not saying I am going to do it but I am throwing around the idea. I do think it is pretty awesome though, All I want to say two of the coolest trucks I can remember growing up and wanting were the cyclone and the typhoon, turbocharged sixers

Jim

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
303 Posts
GM was able to do it because they had "unlimited" funds, and knew how to easily tune THEIR pcms. As a consumer, or even a shop without all that GM knows about their own stuff, it's hard to do. However, it has been done, so do a search and see what you come up with.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just an Idea.....

Yes they do, its the PCM thats going to give me trouble, But this would be a future mod if I decide to do it, I will be doing a ton of research before I would attempt,

Jim :crazy:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ss pcm...

I do not think that is possible, I am looking to find out as much as I can about the ll8 ECM, Got pinouts so far found some tuning software, but I do not think it supports boost on our engine, The Search continues,

Jim :coffee

·
Northwest Chapter
11,917 Posts
The "SS" ECM is the E67 ECM used in many GM applications, including the 08-09 I6s. (FYI just for reference the 05-06 GMT360 V8s including the SS use the E40 ECM.)

You could probably swap in an E67 and a T42 (for trans control, the Exx ECMs strictly control the engine) by rewiring the pins. Also, you'll need to get a new crankshaft that is from an 08-09 I6 with the proper 58x reluctor wheel attached so the E67 can understand the signals. At this point its almost easier to simply swap an 08-09 I6 engine in as for most of us it will have the better flowing heads and the upgrades GM did when they redesigned it in late 05. Unfortunately, even the 06-07 guys will need a new crank as the P12 PCM used in these years is a 7x (or maybe a 24x, havent got a straight answer on that yet but probably 7x).

The biggest problem I see with the 02-05 P10 PCMs coding is that it uses a hybrid SD/alpha-N fueling and spark algorithm. Im not sure how exactly this works but after taking EFI101 2 weeks ago and looking at true SD systems, the P10 is definitely NOT a true SD system. One member has successfully halved the spark tables to run a 2bar MAP sensor for boost but I have not heard any updates since Christmas 08 from him. Im pretty sure I can get the 02-05 I6 running with a Cobalt SS S/C 2 Bar MAP but frankly I have no reason to spend the $$ on the sensor as I have my SS now and would rather put the $$ into it. If someone wants to buy one and loan it to me (I would be more than happy to pay the 10 bucks shipping both ways) I'll play around with EFILive and see if I can get it to work then do a detailed write-up about how to do it (if its indeed possible).

I will say it once again, Ive mentioned this a few times around the site before. You should be able to run a turbo on an 08-09 I6 with simply tuning. All the spark and airflow tables are there, there is NO reason I can see why it cant be done, even the 06-07 guys with the P12 should be able to do it (the I5 Coly guys use the same P12 and run boost with it). Seems to me that no one has stepped up to the plate with an 06-09 I6 and flat out said they have the $$, the time, and the want to turbo/supercharge their I6. If someone does, let me know and Ill be more than happy to share what Ive learned over the years and countless hours Ive spent on this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 Trailblazer LT that my dad's body shop had customized with new paint and bumpers and stuff like that (I threw in a pic). Right now we're working on getting a new exhaust system and possibly a turbo. If anyone has any recommendations on either let me know, and if I find a good turbo that works I'll post it.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7849/dsci0172.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.