Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to replace my strut assembly. Completely unable to get the strut arm to move at all. I got the nut off fine, but trying to get the arm to budge off the control arm bolt is impossible. I've tried banging on it, using leverage against it, and nothing works.

It appears to be stuck to whatever sticks out the other side of the lower control arm (circled in red). When I use leverage to move it (which it does budge a bit, but goes right back) I can see this thing moving as well.

I have seen others use a picklefork, but I don't have access to one right now. Unfortunately it looks like I might have to drop it at the shop to do this because I can't get it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT EXT
423 Posts
Why are you trying to remove the strut arm? The strut can be changed without removal of the arm from what I recall.
Just remove the bolt that pinches the bottom of the strut and you should be able to remove the strut/spring as a unit.

Assuming I understand correctly

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are you trying to remove the strut arm? The strut can be changed without removal of the arm from what I recall.
Just remove the bolt that pinches the bottom of the strut and you should be able to remove the strut/spring as a unit.

Assuming I understand correctly
I’ve seen it done both ways. However the bolt that punches the bottom of the strut is also stuck. I’ve tried hitting it with a mallet, but the angle required to do that and the amount of space you have doesn’t let you hit it very hard at all.

I’ll take advice for how to get that out too so I can skip taking the whole thing off

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after a trip to harbor freight to get a pickle fork, the entire yoke and strut assembly came free. Had to use the pickle fork a few times as you really have to pound it in there for it to come loose.

Next issue was removing the bolt from the top of the strut yoke. There is a 0% chance I would've gotten this out while the whole assembly was installed. It was stuck in there TIGHT. After using a combination of banging on the bolt with a hammer, then using a chistle on the end of the bolt to free it, it finally came out.

To then get the yoke off of the strut assembly, we needed to pound a screw driver in between the the two sides of the clip to loosen it. Then a lot of pounding to get it free.

Finally got it free, installed the new strut assembly with no problem.

I bought a pitman arm puller from harbor freight as well, but the one they had ($17 one) the two arms were too thick and wouldn't fit inbetween the yoke and the lower control arm.

Now to do the other side

TL;DR get a pickle fork.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If they were original I bet you had a time!!!
I'm pretty sure they were original. So they made it 19 years, pretty incredible really.

But yeah. Thats why I posted on here, I've watched probably 5-6 different videos and read dozens of threads and no one seemed to have as tough of a time as I did or at least they didn't mention it. I thought I was doing something wrong. Even after I got the whole assembly and yoke out, repeated banging on the upper yoke bolt didn't seem to be making ANY progress. I debated buying a whole new yoke because it was being so difficult and it was so rusted, but I couldn't find them anywhere online.

Some of the videos show them tapping that upper bolt a few times or literally just wiggling the bottom mount off and I am astonished that they were able to have it that easy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts