Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to change my air filter and one of the screws that holds the cover in place is stripped any ideas or suggestions how to get it out?:worried:

·
Registered
137 Posts
If nothing else works use a Dremel type tool and grind the head off. Then pull the cover off and use the Vise Grips on the screw.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
278 Posts
You should be using a #3 Phillips bit or a large flathead driver. You might want to try spraying it with a rust penetrator. the screw only goes in to a small clip but it cant hurt. If that fails it's off to Sears for a screw extractor.
I would not try to drill the head off, the clip might fail.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the input guys, i finally got the f-ing screw out it was in there, got the biggiest flat head that i could get my hands on and muscled it out:bonk:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
47 Posts
Same problem...

I just ran into this same problem tonight, trying to change the air filter. I couldn't get the screw out though. I put some rust penetrator on it, and will let it sit overnight (ran out of daylight). I couldn't muscle this one out, so far.

The screw remover was not enough.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
128 Posts
Drill a hole in the head of the screw then use a screw extractor or E-Z out. The extractor will tell you what size of bit to use.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
47 Posts
Drilled it...

Drill a hole in the head of the screw then use a screw extractor or E-Z out. The extractor will tell you what size of bit to use.:thumbsup:
The original poster had better luck than I... I eventually had to drill the screw out enough, that I could break it below the clip level. It was seized good, and was not going to come out any other way. I'll replace that screw next time I'm out. Hardest "air filter" change I ever had to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts