Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i finally get my bumper painted and installed and its wavy as all hell theres a gap between the bottom of my headlights n the top of the bumper, the slot on the sides of the bumper where that pin sets in wont stay it just pops out n is just hanging n u would think if u bring it to a body shop they would fit it to my car. anyone else have trouble w/ bumpers n have suggestions. im thinkin i should prob. bring it back n the worst part is its my buddys dads shop so i cant even b mad towards them or else i look like an assO

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
Nice!

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
I would contact the grille people first and show them the pics. Ask them if it requires "fitting" or is it a "plug and play" type item. Once you have your answers then take it back to the body shop and simply ask them if it looks correct to them. If it is a plug and play item and the fit is like this then I would ask for a new bumper. If they say it requires fitting then ask the body shop why they didnt make it fit better.. :m2:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
143 Posts
I am not sure what exactly causes it, but I have seen that on every bumper that has been replaced on a TB. I am not saying that it is like that on ALL of them, simply the ones ive seen replaced. I got hit back in 03 and had my bumper replaced and had the same problem you are having. The body shop told me they used an aftermarket bumper cover (to save costs I assume) they ordered a replacement from the dealership and even though they looked identical, the factory bumper "fit" much much better.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would contact the grille people first and show them the pics. Ask them if it requires "fitting" or is it a "plug and play" type item. Once you have your answers then take it back to the body shop and simply ask them if it looks correct to them. If it is a plug and play item and the fit is like this then I would ask for a new bumper. If they say it requires fitting then ask the body shop why they didnt make it fit better.. :m2:
yea ill give that a try, theres nothin like spending 400 bucks on a bumper n another 275 for paint n have the finished product come out like crap, thats just my luck..

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
I use to have that until my bg forgot to put in your bumper spacer. Its the long black plastic thing that was suppose to be holding the top portion on the bumper.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use to have that until my bg forgot to put in your bumper spacer. Its the long black plastic thing that was suppose to be holding the top portion on the bumper.
i didnt even know there was sucha thing, ill call them and see if they still have it

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
i didnt even know there was sucha thing, ill call them and see if they still have it
Normally It comes w/ your truck. All tbs have them on there OEM bumpers.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
6,943 Posts
From everyone who has had that bumper, I've heard the fit is terrible. So you're not alone.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The only experience that I have had with bumpers was with my cavalier. It had a wave under the headlights from the way it was shipped, it was in the summer sitting the wrong way in a UPS truck. Now of course had it been insurance paying for it i would have sent it back. But instead I got it lower than dealer cost due to damage. Took it home taped some rulers or a straight edge under it and let it sit in the sun to straighten out. I did that for about 2 or 3 days to make sure it was straight. Then I took it to the shop to get painted and once it was on you couldnt tell that it was warpped. But since yours in painted I would be careful doing that so that you dont crack the paint or anything like that.

·
Registered
2008 chevy
16,008 Posts
sometimes the bumper spacer doesnt fix it 100% but deff does solve most of it. if you put the bumper spacer in (like $25 from GM) and you still have the problem, you can use some heavy duty double sided tap and try and even it out. thats what i had to do to my 05

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
Thats why you can trim the spacers down to size.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i e-mailed street scene eq yesterday havnt heard anything from them yet but im sure they're gonna tell me it has to be fitted and im gonna ask my friend if his dad still has my stock bumper cover and get the spacer from him, we'll see what happens

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
that's a cool looking bumper, shame about the fitment issues...hope all works out for you

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
i e-mailed street scene eq yesterday havnt heard anything from them yet but im sure they're gonna tell me it has to be fitted and im gonna ask my friend if his dad still has my stock bumper cover and get the spacer from him, we'll see what happens
I doubt they will refund anything since it's been painted but they fit like crap. I finally got tired of mine and got the SS bumpers.

The mounts on the upper corners, I used drilled two holes, top and bottom, and ran a zip tie through. It's getto but I never test fitted it before paint or I would have returned it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The mounts on the upper corners, I used drilled two holes, top and bottom, and ran a zip tie through. It's getto but I never test fitted it before paint or I would have returned it.
i was thinkin of doin the same thing, i was gonna use U bolts but thought it b a pain to line up n all that, n i probably gonna hafta live with this bumper anyway theres no way im gonna buy an ss bumper then hafta replace the grille also, to much money

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
912 Posts
OK everyone, here's a Body Tech's take on the situation.

I've done alot of TB's and Envoys over the years and not all, but the majority of these bumpers do this, be it OEM or aftermarket (naturally the aftermarket ones are worse) Some of them have that filler piece in between the reinforcment and the bumper and some don't. The ones that don't have a strip of some kind of glue, silicone, or something there instead.

Now, that being said......just because those items are there does NOT mean the tops of your bumpers will be 100% straight and wave-less. If it has that black piece, I'll put it back in and re-tape it so the bumper sticks to it and it will still be a little wavy, nowhere near as bad as the pictures at the top of this post, but it won't be 100% wave-less. And same thing with the strip of material they put there. This actually just happened to me on that TB frame replacement I did. I wish I had an answer for why this happens but it's just one of those "it's just the way it is" situations. Maybe it's the mold GM uses? Maybe it happens in shipping? I know some bumpers take to being baked after paint better than others. Some of them get that hot and fold up like a pretzel on the stand and you can't get the wave out after that. It happens on all types of different cars too, not just 360's.

There was a point in time where we did a ton of these under warranty work but the thing people fail to realize, is that we're not magicians. We can't wave a magical wand and get something to be 100% flawlessly perfect. Most of us will do everything in our power to get the job as best as we can get it, it's just not enough for some people who want show cars for drivers. I mean honestly, what do you say to an anal customer when you've physically tried everything to make them happy and there's nothing else you can do to correct the "issue". But really, what else are we to do?

Also, I say "most of us" because there are quite a few "hacks" out there that don't give a rats petutie about your car so they butch it up to get it out the door. Sad part is that most people who get their cars fixed by these butchers, will never notice untill they get into another accident and their car doesn't perform like it should've in the crash. We see it more and more, you'll tear a car down and just be in total astonishment as to how someone could send the car down the road with the half assed repair job they did.

So back on track with this A/M bumper (lol) hate to say it, but you might be stuck with the final product. This is an A/M piece afterall and I've never been impressed with the fitment of them, on ANY car, from a body techs standpoint anyway. 80% of the time the owners will be tickled happy with their car after the repair, but from my point of view it looks like total crap and I wouldn't want my truck to have those gaps. hahaha Hopefully there's something else the shop can do for you to get that a little better, but I wouldn't count on it being 100% wave-less.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the input, i just want all the pieces to fit right, if its wavy then it wavy but the sides are just hangin and the pins pop out when i try to push them. i havnt heard back from street scene and its been well over the 48 hours they told me someone would get back to me n my buddy has been blowin off the situation, i guess ill rig somethin up if i hafta.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts