Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,347 Posts
OK. Once in awhile, sounds like to travel. Was thinking maybe a bearing in the alternator or belt tensioner was going bad.

Reactions: jreed01

·
Registered
2005 Buick Rainier CXL 4.2L I6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Listen for the noise in Reverse and Manual Low/1st
I did what you suggested. I drove it and listened for the noise in reverse, but didn’t hear it. I then shifted thru the gears manually and didn’t hear it in 1st, but immediately heard it in 2nd and 3rd, then it went away in 4th. It may be a gear problem. I also noticed it started thumping during 2nd gear and continued in 3rd too. I’m going to remove a quart of the fluid and add in some Lucas Stop Slip and see if that helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I added the Lucas this evening and it seems to be working better. I’m still hearing the noise a little, but I haven’t been noticing the shuttering. I’ll have to see what it’s like as I keep driving it.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,051 Posts
I did what you suggested. I drove it and listened for the noise in reverse, but didn’t hear it. I then shifted thru the gears manually and didn’t hear it in 1st, but immediately heard it in 2nd and 3rd, then it went away in 4th. It may be a gear problem. I also noticed it started thumping during 2nd gear and continued in 3rd too. I’m going to remove a quart of the fluid and add in some Lucas Stop Slip and see if that helps.
You have gear reduction ONLY in Reverse, 1st and 2nd ---- and you have gear multiplication in 4th which is Overdrive.

That you heard a noise in 3rd, takes the gearsets out of the calculation 'cause 3rd is a DIRECT DRIVE without any gears involved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well it’s been a couple of days since adding the Lucas and the fluid/filter change, and unfortunately, the noise is still there. The noise seems to be associated with some jerking/jolting in the transmission when accelerating. I’m beginning to think that changing the fluid was a bad idea. Maybe the transmission with the miles it has (over 130,000), would have been better to leave the old fluid in it. The new fluid seems to have screwed it up.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,051 Posts
Very possibly so --- it is on overtime right now and you might be ignoring it's cries for a rebuild.

I just did a thermo-sensor and an OD solenoid in a Dodge Turbo-Diesel 727A/OD and the fluid was particularly black too --- from lack of scheduled services like yours --- and after the fluid was re-installed, it developed a jerking motion in all gears.

I have had those crappy Torque flite OD units in the past and they always destroy the rear planetary carrier shaft and that felt the same way. This Dodge may be another one, sad to say.

But I did get rid of the bogus Transmission warning light and ringing bell from a bad thermo-sensor.

I expect it too, now needs to go the rest of the way and just bite the bullet and overhaul it.

The black crap may have been holding yours together too.

But it was gonna die anyway -- and it might be on a trip outta town more than 500 miles --- and then what?

Transmission services be like You can pay me now ... or you can pay me later.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts