Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Buick Rainier CXL 4.2L I6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I am new to TrailVoy.
I used to drive a 2003 TrailBlazer, but I wanted something a little nicer, so I sold it and purchased my 2005 Rainier.

Anyway, I wanted to do some maintenance to the vehicle so I had a shop perform a fluid and filter change to the transmission. As soon as I got it back, I noticed a strange high-pitched, whistle/whine-like noise while accelerating. It did not make this noise prior to the transmission service. I brought it back to the shop, but since the noise can be intermittent at times, the mechanic said he never heard it while driving it. I did get it on video though. Any idea why it’s making this noise or how to fix it?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,347 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not hearing anything unusual. @Ravalli Surfer how about you? You hear anything out of the ordinary?

jreed01 One question. Do you know if the shop hooked up a machine to your transmission to do a "fluid exchange" of any type? What does your paperwork say?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not hearing anything unusual. @Ravalli Surfer how about you? You hear anything out of the ordinary?

jreed01 One question. Do you know if the shop hooked up a machine to your transmission to do a "fluid exchange" of any type? What does your paperwork say?
Thanks! Happy to be here. The sound I’m hearing sounds sort of like a jet engine winding up. It started after the transmission service. Unfortunately, I believe he did do a flush to the transmission. I would have preferred a simple fluid exchange because I’ve heard a flush could cause damage. I guess I wasn’t specific enough when I requested the service. I hope it’s not damaged. The only strange thing is the noise, the transmission seems to function properly otherwise. The noise is really annoying me.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
OK on the noise. I'm not really a transmission guy, but Ravalli is. The only chem_man & Ravalli Surfer "approved" transmission fluid replacement procedure is by draining the fluid that is in the pan either by dropping it or by removing it's drain plug.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,051 Posts
I think I MIGHT be hearing the intermediate gearset -- maybe not.

Videos like this are kinda hard to hear so I used my headphones --- still nothing terribly out of the ordinary.

If it were mine, I'd drop the pan and check for needle bearings or thrust washers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think I MIGHT be hearing the intermediate gearset -- maybe not.

Videos like this are kinda hard to hear so I used my headphones --- still nothing terribly out of the ordinary.

If it were mine, I'd drop the pan and check for needle bearings or thrust washers.
Ok. Thank you for listening to it. If it were the intermediate gearset failing, would I be able to feel a difference in the transmission’s operation? I was thinking about maybe changing the fluid and filter again to see if it made a difference.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,051 Posts
Ok. Thank you for listening to it. If it were the intermediate gearset failing, would I be able to feel a difference in the transmission’s operation? I was thinking about maybe changing the fluid and filter again to see if it made a difference.
The only time you'll get a hint is when it ceases motivating.

It will get noisier just before it goes grenade-o.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So come to find out, I called the shop that did the transmission “service” and all they did was hook up a flush machine and filter the fluid. They didn’t even change the fluid or filter! I was shocked. I’m going to have the fluid and filter changed and hopefully the noise will go away. Fingers crossed! 🤞 I really hope that more issues don’t arise since they flushed it.

·
Registered
2003 Chevy Trailblazer LT
519 Posts
So come to find out, I called the shop that did the transmission “service” and all they did was hook up a flush machine and filter the fluid. They didn’t even change the fluid or filter! I was shocked. I’m going to have the fluid and filter changed and hopefully the noise will go away. Fingers crossed! 🤞 I really hope that more issues don’t arise since they flushed it.
Let us know how things turn out

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
I would at the very least file a complaint with the BBB regarding deceptive business practices especially if you had requested a pan drop fluid and filter change.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
Good news, you may be fine, perhaps if the hooked up the machine wrong the pressure pushed the filter out of the suction tube

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I got the car back today after having them perform a fluid and filter change with Dexron VI. Unfortunately the sound is still there. There’s nothing else that can be done at the moment I suppose to correct the noise. I really don’t remember the noise before the flush, so I think that may have caused it. I’m going to keep driving it as it seems it’s not causing any issues, but the noise is frustrating. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Just for the heck of it, and as Ravalli would say "...just spitballing here..." Remove the serpentine belt and see if the transmission noise goes away. Also, do not run the engine for more than a couple of minutes without the water pump circulating coolant.

If the noise goes away, let us know for more diagnostic steps.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just for the heck of it, and as Ravalli would say "...just spitballing here..." Remove the serpentine belt and see if the transmission noise goes away. Also, do not run the engine for more than a couple of minutes without the water pump circulating coolant.

If the noise goes away, let us know for more diagnostic steps.

Good Luck!
I’m quite sure it’s not from the engine. I went and revved it up in park a few minutes ago and I don’t hear it. I only hear it when driving, usually after it shifts into 2nd gear and lasts until 4th gear or so. Thanks for the suggestion though!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts