Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Envoy SLT, 100K + miles

Not sure if this is all electrical or even related, but here's what's happening.

First and foremost, my wife called and said the Envoy is sitting in the garage with all 3 brake lights on. She started it again, played with the brake pedal, turned it off again, etc, etc. It's apparently sitting there right now with all brake lights on draining the battery at this point. I couldn't think of anything over the phone other than to disconnect the battery, but she won't do that. :rolleyes:

Beyond that, the truck has been doing some weird things that may or may not be related (an overall electrical issue?)...

The last few days the automatic climate control reads an outside temp of 0 degrees or even lower (when it's 70+ outside), which of course makes the CC blow hot air. :( Some tweaking back and forth of buttons will make it slowly rise up to the correct temperature, but then on every other restart or so it will be wrong again. Was thinking temp sensor on that one, but the error is intermitent, not constant.

Over the course of a couple months she has had a couple of times where the car starts and makes a LOUD pop from all the speakers, then the stereo is completely reset like after a battery disconnect. Not sure if this is related to the stereo only, or if in fact at that moment the entire system lost power and surged back.

Thanks for any opinions or help!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You can pull fuse #12 under the hood to kill all three lights, but the fault is probably a bad brake pedal switch. You can get under there and might be able to figure out a way her pointy toed shoes damaged it, thus deflecting blame from you to her, where it belongs.

:raspberry

Of course, if you want to live and not sleep on the couch, you just need to disassemble the switch, or buy a new one on the way home.

Item #8 - GM #15128874, AC Delco #D891A in the aftermarket stores. Under $20.

Oops sorry - forgot your other issues. The temp sensor is cheap, and not related at all to this failure. The harness might be flaky, but for under $10, you can change the sensor and be done with it. The radio reboot is probably a flaky ignition switch that will strand her some day. Again, cheap and easy to change - under $30 in the aftermarket.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=50141

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roadie for all the quick advice! :)

Crazy all these little sensors on modern vehicles, but I'm glad it isn't one all encompassing electrical problem $$$$.

I tried to get the brake pedal switch on my way home but ended up having to order it.

Glad to see the brake lights were still on when I got home (well not really glad, just the fact the battery wasn't dead). Pulled fuse #12 to give them a rest.

Looked under the dash to figure out where the switch was and fiddled with it a bit to see how it is removed, etc. Looks like I may have to remove some trim to figure it out exactly when the part comes in tomorrow.

But whatever I did, did seem to fix the problem for now as once I put the fuse back in everything worked as it should. I'll still replace the part since they made me pre-pay and it probably needs done anyway. But my wife's happy there's zero down time and it should work for her today.

I'll address the other 2 probelms very soon as well. Thanks again so much!

I definitely need to spend more time at this site!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.