Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer LT 4.2L 4WD and have had it about a year now. And I've noticed some strange things going on with it. As I'm driving occasionally the stereo will switch on its own to dvd or if its on dvd then to cd or cd to radio. Whichever one would be next if I were to press the mode button. Also it will randomly lock or unlock occasionally while driving as well. Last summer I went to the car wash it and it was still running with my 2yr old in the car and it locked me out and at the time only had the one key. So a nice police officer opened it up for me. Hasn't happened since but have more keys in case now :p

Also ever since we got it the stereo runs through all the preset channels as soon as you turn the ignition off (if its on cd mode it just restarts the song thats on.) The stereo beeps every time it changes channels or modes so it sounds like a slot machine when its on the radio :duh:
The stereo system is a Pioneer Avic D3 it was installed by previous owner.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
23 Posts
Have you tried..?

Try disconnecting the (+) post of the battery and leave it disconnected for a few minutes. Reconnect and see if this power down / power up manages to reset the strange behavior you're seeing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try disconnecting the (+) post of the battery and leave it disconnected for a few minutes. Reconnect and see if this power down / power up manages to reset the strange behavior you're seeing.

Good luck!
Thank you for the reply :) My husband is a mechanic but doesn't know a lot about electrical things. The battery has been disconnected many times since owning it. My husband just replaced the alternator in Dec. And the electrical issues have stayed the same:confused:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
23 Posts
Hmm..

I see the radio is an aftermarket Pioneer unit. If this has been a problem for as long as you've owned the truck, I'd suspect a wiring issue caused by the original owner. Typically, these vehicles provides the usual speaker, 12VDC, etc. connections - but also a "data bus" connection to the radio. My '04 Envoy required a special interface ($100 or so?) to enable the key-in-ignition / door open / headlights on "warning dings" and a ~10 minute timer for the radio when the key is shut off - but the door wasn't opened. When the door opens, the radio shuts off instantly. If the interface was NOT installed between the vehicle wiring harness for the radio and your Pioneer unit - THAT may be the cause. Check to see if you hear warning dings or if the radio continues to play AFTER shutting off the vehicle - but BEFORE opening a door. The radio may have been wired to the data bus connection in error and providing some funky results.

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's when the radio shuffles. As soon as I turn the key off the radio will stay on for so long and shut off after a certain amount of time or if I open the door. And the shuffling will go the entire time until it shuts off or if I touch the screen/or change mode. It makes a ding everytime you change modes or channels so it's ding, ding, dinging (like a slot machine) lol. Once in a while when I open the door with the key in it, it will make a small dinging noise for the keys but I've only heard it once in awhile.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
23 Posts
Final thoughts..

In my Envoy, the factory radio supplied the warning dings to the driver-side dash speaker (not a chime unit under the dash).

Obviously, an aftermarket radio wouldn't do this. The interface I mentioned previously is plugged in between the vehicle wiring harness for the radio and the radio itself. This interface has a speaker built in to it so the dings will come from it - not the dash speaker.

Linked below is one that SHOULD work for your Trailblazer - but double-check before buying based on your vehicle options, etc. If you have one installed now - it may be defective. If you don't have one installed now - you might need one. At bare minimum, reviewing the wiring of the Pioneer unit installation is a must.

Good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-2005-2006-GMC-Envoy-Stereo-Radio-Wiring-Harness-Interface-03-04-05-06-/130311751712

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my Envoy, the factory radio supplied the warning dings to the driver-side dash speaker (not a chime unit under the dash).

Obviously, an aftermarket radio wouldn't do this. The interface I mentioned previously is plugged in between the vehicle wiring harness for the radio and the radio itself. This interface has a speaker built in to it so the dings will come from it - not the dash speaker.

Linked below is one that SHOULD work for your Trailblazer - but double-check before buying based on your vehicle options, etc. If you have one installed now - it may be defective. If you don't have one installed now - you might need one. At bare minimum, reviewing the wiring of the Pioneer unit installation is a must.

Good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-2005-2006-GMC-Envoy-Stereo-Radio-Wiring-Harness-Interface-03-04-05-06-/130311751712
Thank you! I'll have my husband look at it when hes working on it again.:thumbsup::thx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts