Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm in the middle of a problem here and I'm hoping someone has gone through the exact same thing.

Me and the family were on our way to go camping, after being on the road for over 5 hours, (5 km just after a fill up) I lost all power. The engine stalled on me, I put it in neutral and coasted to a stop. I have a ScangaugeII and found no codes. The check engine light is not on. The truck is ringing its chime as if I left the key in the ignition with the driver's door open.

I have full electric power, to run the stereo, headlights are still bright. When I attempt to start the engine, there is absolutely zero response. No noise or anything.

With the ignition on, all my gauges check in with the exception of one, the oil gauge will not register a thing.

My first guess is the oil pressure sender is shot, and with the ECM not sensing pressure, it will not allow the engine to operate?

My first two questions...

Is this a likely diagnosis?

Has this happened to anyone?

Now for the icing on the cake, after the tow truck arrived, the operator went to put it in neutral for the tow, and the gear selector is STUCK!:mad:

I cringed as I watched him drag my truck up the ramp on "nylon slip strips" just thinking what other problems are going to come of this...

Oh well... any insights would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
Normally I would suspect Fuse 47 (IGN 0) in the fuse box under the rear seat. This prevents turning the ingition as well as locking the shifter. Were you able to turn the ignition and remove the key?

Good luck. Let us know what the problem is when you find out.

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Now for the icing on the cake, after the tow truck arrived, the operator went to put it in neutral for the tow, and the gear selector is STUCK!:mad:

I cringed as I watched him drag my truck up the ramp on "nylon slip strips" just thinking what other problems are going to come of this...

Oh well... any insights would be appreciated!
Unless the truck is stuck in park no harm will happen . In park the park pawl is engaged.. a little hard on the parts but most likely it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
Look for the simplest solutions first.

- Make sure your battery cables are tight and corrosion-free. (This is the likeliest cause if you have ever found your radio stations suddenly switching channels or losing their preset memories for no reason while driving.)

- If they are good, check the battery voltage. If it is older than 3 or 4 years, do a load-test.

- If the battery is okay, and the truck suddenly decides to behave normally, replace the ignition switch.

These three are the simplest and most-common cause of sudden loss of power. With ignition on and the vehicle not running, your oil pressure should read zero, so that is not unusual.

Sorry but that's about all I can think of for simple fixes for total loss of power.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
179 Posts
I had a similar problem with my trailblazer. I was in a shopping center parking lot, and lost all engine power except for accessories such as radio and what not. My dash was showing the security light, is yours? The gear selector would not move out of park. Needless to say GM roadside assistance stranded me in the parking lot for 8 hours! Finally called AAA! When a flatbed did arrive, they had to literally drag the vehicle onto the bed. Needless to say my battery was dead as a doornail, because GM told me to leave the accessory position on to let the computer run cycles....didn't work. Turned out to be a faulty ignition switch, hasn't happened since.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Let's see if it works this time... Forum went down while I was typing it last time...

It's more than likely an ignition fuse, relay, or switch...

The oil pressure gauge will be dead if the engine isn't running, because there is no oil pressure when the engine isn't running...

If you're STUCK, stuck, out in the middle of nowhere (and know what you're doing), if the fuse is fine, and you have it narrowed down to the ignition switch, or the ignition relay, you can short across the contact pins where the relay goes, and everything will act like the ignition is on... If you don't know electrical stuff, don't do this, though, because you have to get it between the correct 2 terminals, or it could be really, really bad for your ignition switch, fuse, and maybe ECM...

Mike

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem Solved

Thanks to all the suggestions, but I was not able to check the site as we continued on with our vacation the moment we got the truck up and running again.

I'm glad to hear that towing it on the nylon strips in "park" should cause little to no harm. All drivetrain components seems like they are behaving normally.

It did turn out to be the ignition tumbler switch. I discovered that when I turned the key very slowly (after a few dozen attempts) the engine would turn over. The Fountain Tire store I took it to thought the switch may be at fault as well, but "didn't want to throw money at it" The guy really didn't convey much interest in helping me out as he quoted 2-3 days just to look at it and a bill that could be over $300.00! $160.00 was just for the switch.

I went to the nearest GM dealer bought the switch myself for a nice deal; $105.00 plus $20.00 to key it. If I was at work I could have bought it for $70.00, oh well.

I then found a small independent shop just a half a block away called, "Dwaynes Automotive" He too was busy for two days, but when I told him what the problem was, he said it should take just 15 mins. Plenty of time for me to take a walk and come back with a case of beer for squeezing me in so quickly.

He must have felt sorry for me, cause he accepted the beer but wouldn't take any money for the service. :thumbsup: Really stand up guy.

Thanks again for all the responses.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Good you got it fixed!

Just out of curiousity, how much crap is on your keychain?? You see people who have their car keys attached to the rest of their keys (or 15 keychains), junking lock cylinders quite a bit, because of the extra weight hanging there all the time...

Mike

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
I am very surprised that changing the cylinder fixed this problem.

There are no electrical connections on the cylinder, only a mechanical rod that connects to the ignition switch at the bottom of the steering column.

The problem, as described, is a classic description of a bad ignition switch.

For example, the mechanical cylinder failing would not cause the truck to stall on the highway. This is an electrical problem.

Now, I know that if the key was turned off while driving on the highway, that the truck would stop/stall. And, it is possible that if there was a lot of wear in the cylinder and the rod slipped back into the "off" position, that the truck would turn off. Thus pointing to a bad cylinder.

Hope I'm wrong, and your good to go :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good you got it fixed!

Just out of curiousity, how much crap is on your keychain?? You see people who have their car keys attached to the rest of their keys (or 15 keychains), junking lock cylinders quite a bit, because of the extra weight hanging there all the time...

Mike
Just the quick disconnect hanging from the key. I hate having an overloaded key chain hanging from the ignition banging against the dash.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it is possible that if there was a lot of wear in the cylinder and the rod slipped back into the "off" position, that the truck would turn off. Thus pointing to a bad cylinder.
I have a feeling that this is the exact problem, once it was replaced, it started everytime. I'm hoping this is where it ends, but if I require more parts, atleast I'm home now and can get them for cost at work. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts