Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. i still got the stock exhaust, but i want to straight pipe it so itll be louder. is straight piping illegal in nj? ive looked but havent found anything. also how much does this normally cost?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
912 Posts
I am pretty sure straight piping is illegal everywhere due to noise and emissions restrictions. If your strightpipe idea involves removing the cat, you can forget about it everywhere in the United States.

·
Banned
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,253 Posts
If I remember correctly DCM straight piped her TB. In my opinion it was way to loud and didn't sound all that great at all. I think there is a sound clip around here somewhere if you search a bit.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
422 Posts
DCM straight-piped the I6. He's got an SS (6.0) which in MY opinion sounds sick straight piped. If you the have the founds for it, you should just get an electronic dump. That way it can be loud.. and you can still pass NJ inspection.. Or just straight pipe it and pay for a sticker when inspection time comes but thats illegal as well so I didn't just say that :x :tiphat

·
Banned
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,253 Posts
ya sorry, I didn't pay attention to the truck in question. I stand corrected, the SS would sound pretty sick with it piped! :drool

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
201 Posts
A set of long tubes into a catback would be ideal in your situation. Let that LS2 breathe!

Also an electric cutout is a nice touch. I have one on my Camaro. With it open at WOT it sounds like all hell just broke loose. I have no cats either which makes it a little louder.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
68 Posts
hey all. i still got the stock exhaust, but i want to straight pipe it so itll be louder. is straight piping illegal in nj? ive looked but havent found anything. also how much does this normally cost?
What I have done is installed a electric cut-out that dumps the exhaust before the muffler... Stupid loud!! I'll post a vid tomorrow

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright, well bottom line im keeping the cats, just the resonator and muffler are going away (unless someone says removing just the res or muffler sounds better). where would i get the parts for this? prices, links, all would be appreciated! :)

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
just go to the muffler shop and have them weld in a 3" pipe. you could probably get it done for around $50

i've got a cut out on mine... isn't as loud as i thought it would be

hopefully cam + headers will fix that....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well im having a mechanic i know do this for a special price, but all he needs is parts or a website to order parts from. any links would be appreciated, as well as some store examples on where to get the stuff from (autozone, advance auto parts, etc)

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
4 Posts
Had my stock stuff removed today and ended up with the 3" pipe and it sounds awesome!! I can't wait to get out tomorrow and do some driving!

Matt C.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts