Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the fan clutch this last weekend and the truck ran really really rough after, I figured it was the PCM adjusting to life with a new fan clutch. I took it for a drive and it stalled out completely at a light when I gave it gas. As long as it has a little bit of gas it runs fine, it is where there is a change from forward motion to stop the truck stumbles and tries to die. Last night I was rolling both windows down (at idle when i started the truck in the drive way) and the whole darn thing just died, like the battery drained, I let go of the window controls and restarted the truck, it had the idle issue stumbled, brought it self back and the LCD said STOP ENGINE.... yeah that was scary.

Anyone have any idea of WTH I have done wrong? :bonk:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
What is the battery voltage both when the vehicle is running and when it is not running (DVM)? When was the last time you cleaned the throttle body? Did you disconnect the battery when you replaced the fan clutch? And if not, do that for 1/2 hr.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery shows normal by the guage at idle, until it stumbles then it drops.
The battery was unhooked during the fan clutch replacement and hook up after. Throttle body was cleaned by roadie recomendation.

I am wondering if the battery is dying and it just happens to be a weird coincidence. :weird:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You may have the clue in the PCM history memory. See if you can get a code reader to look in the history, even if the Check Engine Light isn't on at the moment. There could be a problem with the throttle valve position feedback sensors after the cleaning, but those should light up the Check Engine Light permanently.

When you're running, the alternator should handle the load. Your battery may be dying, but that shouldn't cause an idle problem unless it's also loading down the alternator and about to boil over.

How many miles and years are on that battery? Can you get it tested?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
When you're running, the alternator should handle the load. Your battery may be dying, but that shouldn't cause an idle problem unless it's also loading down the alternator and about to boil over.

How many miles and years are on that battery? Can you get it tested?
:iagree:
But, keep in mind that it died when idleing and activating both front windows. Big draw and it died. Could be weak battery and weak alt as well. Get both checked. Rough idle can be a sign of low voltage. While it is idleing turn off the dlr and see if it smooths out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:duh:The truck had the original battery up until march or April of last year then it died after sitting for about 2 weeks after we moveed from GA to TX. So a new battery was purchased then. Now we are about 20-30K miles later. I went to go to the bank today and it is deader than the proverbial doornail. Time to go buy another battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we went to replace the battery but the keys were stuck in the ignition since the truck died as I was starting it. I popped the hood and started to undo the battery brace and the truck light up like a Xmas tree. So the battery was not dead, I checked all the connections and they were tight but the truck is still doing the stumble and stall at lights. It is really bad.

Anyone have any idea?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
COuld still be intermittent connections inside the battery, behind the terminals. Depends on what you wiggled when you touched the brace.

If you have a meter you can check the battery terminals separately from the wiring, to confirm it's the battery or the connectors. Until then I'd invest in a battery jump start box and carry that around so you're not always at risk of being stranded.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
ignition switch maybe?:confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
make sure you didnt damage the cam sensor or conector. also any other sensors when you replaced the fan. it seems like a sensor is not reading right
:m2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts