Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this on a forum where a member asked about interchanging a Bose head unit in a vehicle that did not have the Bose option. The reason for the swap is because the CD player on the non-Bose vehicle was having problems ejecting and loading CDs.

Here's a fix to help out people who have the Delco/Delphi CD player and still wish to retain the original equipment when the problem with CD ejection and insertion is more than an issue that a reset of the head unit would resolve.

------

Okay, so when you've tried to eject the disc only to have the CD player go CLICK CLICK CLICK on you, here's what you'll need to do.

Please be advised, you will be dealing with a lot of ESD sensitive devices. If you accidentally zap something on the circuit boards with static electricity, you will cause damage. Needless to say, it won't work too well, if at all, when zapped by static discharge.

Proceed carefully and take it slow and easy.

Another important note: DO NOT add any unnecessary bends to ribbon cables.

REMINDER: Look over everything (parts positioning, cable connections, etc.) and familiarize yourself with how everything comes together and comes apart before going into actual disassembly.

Reassembly is the reverse.

BE CAREFUL AND TAKE IT SLOW. Make sure you get it all back together right.

DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING. Make sure every piece and part as well as all connections are put back in place! This includes making sure the wiring harness connectors and the antenna are in place on the rear of the the head unit in the vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When placing the front panel back on the chassis, be sure the wires on the front panel circuitry are pulled completely though the cutouts on the chassis before pressing the front panel completely back in its place. If the wires are not all the way through, DO NOT PULL THEM THROUGH WITH FRONT PANEL SECURED IN PLACE! You will have to pull the front face off and pull the wires through completely while putting front panel back on.

Any questions, just ask.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great write up. We like pics!
I'm sure it will help someone.
I sure hope it does, especially for anyone who can't afford to replace the stock car stereo with the proper wiring kit to retain annunciator tones and OnStar functionality.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
209 Posts
Very impressive! A lot of work disassembling those delicate connections and a creative fix. Nice pix too.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Thank you so much for this! I just used it to repair my radio in a Tahoe. Only difference was I used plastic bonder instead of the metal wire to keep it all in place.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
The Ashram CD Player Fix

I am here to tell you that Ashram's Delco radio CD player fix is straight forward and it works like a charm. The problem is caused by a poorly engineered design flaw. It's probably one of the reasons Delco got into financial trouble.

Nonetheless, I suspect that this same exact problem is responsible for the failure of CD players in many other vehicle brands. I experienced the same problem on a previously owned Honda Accord.

Lastly, the radio and climate control light bulb replacement solution is also an easy and simple fix while you have your radio out. I found replacement bulbs readily available on eBay.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
This worked perfectly on my 2004 Trailblazer and took about 3 hours from taking out the head unit until putting it back in. I used a 22 gauge stranded wire because the solid core I had was to heavy weight and could not get the screws to tighten

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
No crack in mine...

The plastic shroud isn't cracked, or broke... I'm going to try this and see if it might be flexing enough to allow the gears to slip. If this isn't the fix, has anyone had other failure modes for the load / unload error, click, click, click?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
As I feared, that didn't work for me... :hissy: Can you buy just the single CD mechanism? If so, does anyone know where to get it, or what the part number is??? If I just replace parts of the radio, I shouldn't have to have the Stealer reprogram it should I?

·
Registered
2003 chevy other
2 Posts
pin layout for this stereo unit

Hello Ashram, My friend who ownes a Chevy with this kind of stereo unit has the same problem and he asked me try to fix it and now I want to test the unit here at home on my desk and I like to know for 100% the location of the Ground, +12V and +12V Acc on the 24pin connector on the back.
I surch the internet but I didn't find the right one,
can you help me with that? or a link? I would be greatfull,
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
chevy other
12 Posts
:iagree:
I posted this on a forum where a member asked about interchanging a Bose head unit in a vehicle that did not have the Bose option. The reason for the swap is because the CD player on the non-Bose vehicle was having problems ejecting and loading CDs.

Here's a fix to help out people who have the Delco/Delphi CD player and still wish to retain the original equipment when the problem with CD ejection and insertion is more than an issue that a reset of the head unit would resolve.

------

Okay, so when you've tried to eject the disc only to have the CD player go CLICK CLICK CLICK on you, here's what you'll need to do.

Please be advised, you will be dealing with a lot of ESD sensitive devices. If you accidentally zap something on the circuit boards with static electricity, you will cause damage. Needless to say, it won't work too well, if at all, when zapped by static discharge.

REMINDER: Look over everything (parts positioning, cable connections, etc.) and familiarize yourself with how everything comes together and comes apart before going into actual disassembly.

DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING. Make sure every piece and part as well as all connections are put back in place! This includes making sure the wiring harness connectors and the antenna are in place on the rear of the the head unit in the vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When placing the front panel back on the chassis, be sure the wires on the front panel circuitry are pulled completely though the cutouts on the chassis before pressing the front panel completely back in its place. If the wires are not all the way through, DO NOT PULL THEM THROUGH WITH FRONT PANEL SECURED IN PLACE! You will have to pull the front face off and pull the wires through completely while putting front panel back on.

Any questions, just ask.

·
Registered
1 Posts

------

]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMGG]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

[IMG]]

Any questions, just ask.[/QUOTE]

Hi Ashram - I'm having the same problem with 2008 Envoy CD. Unfortunately, the pictures in your answer are missing. Is there any way you could supply again? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CD Repair Pictures

I need to repair my cd player but the pictures that were listed in this post are no longer there. Does anyone have the pictures for this repair?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nope and not a single description from anyone about what this fix entails. No idea. Best Buy wants $130 just for the wiring harness to install a new unit. The harness costs as much as the entire replacement stereo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts