Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so who has gotten into their stock airbox yet? I am wanting to start messing with mine to improve flow, so what do I need to look for? Is there a baffle in there that needs to go? Does the intake hole need a little attention from the Dremel? If there are even the slightest gains to be had, I'm game, even if the "noise" is increased. Suggestions?
 

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
Joined
·
51 Posts
a quick forum search should bring up several tips. some people on here have actually cut the entire bottom off and just used the top as a heat shield. the air box is roumored t o be the same for ss and reg production tb's. hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
2,903 Posts
A couple of us have done this mod to I6 TBs (I even have a cutout in the grille and in between the headlight and front turn signal) and performance is much improved, IMO. Here is an idea for the airbox that some have used as a reference. I have a True Flow intake as well, though a newer version of the one in the pic (mine has the new foam filter)...

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ops.dti.ne.jp%2f%7emmasa%2fpage024.html#%EF%BC%A1%EF%BC%A9%EF%BC%B2%EF%BC%A1%EF%BC%A9%EF%BC%A4

I even posted the translated version. :yes:
 

·
Registered
2006 chevy
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, I got into the airbox lastnight to install the K&N. From what I can tell it is considerably different on the inside than the I6 airbox even though it uses the same filter. Time to start the fabrication process!
 

·
Registered
2006 chevy
Joined
·
1,966 Posts
LOL!!! The majority of it is where the tubing necks down after the maf to meet the filter. There is a drastic transition there, that and the resonators are the biggies on the intake tract. After that, then you can start hacking up the box ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
FattyTBEXT said:
A couple of us have done this mod to I6 TBs (I even have a cutout in the grille and in between the headlight and front turn signal) and performance is much improved, IMO. Here is an idea for the airbox that some have used as a reference. I have a True Flow intake as well, though a newer version of the one in the pic (mine has the new foam filter)...

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ops.dti.ne.jp%2f%7emmasa%2fpage024.html#%EF%BC%A1%EF%BC%A9%EF%BC%B2%EF%BC%A1%EF%BC%A9%EF%BC%A4

I even posted the translated version. :yes:
I was about to ask what language that was in. It sounds like it was translated into OLD english. A couple of examples.

We have lightened the genuine cover boldly.
It has become the yard, but it seems that got near to acceleration feeling of the normal tire.
 

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
2,903 Posts
It was originally in Japanese, and the translation is poor. But better than nothing. :D
 

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
2,903 Posts
ScarabEpic22 said:
True, but that is only for the 4.2L I6 airbox, both V8 boxes are different than this one.
Hey man, I was just trying to help. Cash out your $50 and get the hell outta here. :rotfl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
in case some haven't noticed, by cutting out the bottom of stock airbox, you would either patch the hole on the stock tube or like some had purchase a cheap intake on ebay. Would work pretty well imo. Cheap Volant solution.
 

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
2,903 Posts
And for those interested, I still have a brand new True Flow intake for the 5.3L V8 and it's listed in the For Sale section. Someone can make me an offer. :raspberry
 

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
3,716 Posts
FattyTBEXT said:
And for those interested, I still have a brand new True Flow intake for the 5.3L V8 and it's listed in the For Sale section. Someone can make me an offer. :raspberry
If i didnt have a K&N replacement filter on the way, id prolly take that off your hands. ;)
 

·
Northwest Chapter
Joined
·
11,824 Posts
Dacomputernerd said:
If i didnt have a K&N replacement filter on the way, id prolly take that off your hands. ;)
Send it back. Next.:laugh:


FattyTBEXT said:
Hey man, I was just trying to help. Cash out your $50 and get the hell outta here. :rotfl:
Thanks for the support here Matt!:laugh: :D

Yeah, I am still amazed I won, as I never win anything. Driving my TB must make my luck change!:yes: :D

And, thanks for helping.:yes:
 

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
2,903 Posts
In all seriousness, congrats on the win, Erik. It couldn't have happened to a better guy...
unless it had happened to me.

Okay, so we knew the words "in all seriousness" coming from me had to be setting something up, right? :raspberry
 

·
Northwest Chapter
Joined
·
11,824 Posts
FattyTBEXT said:
In all seriousness, congrats on the win, Erik. It couldn't have happened to a better guy...
unless it had happened to me.

Okay, so we knew the words "in all seriousness" coming from me had to be setting something up, right? :raspberry
Well, Matt, you probably would have won but since you are a staff member and all, I dont think you were eligible?
 

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
2,903 Posts
ScarabEpic22 said:
Well, Matt, you probably would have won but since you are a staff member and all, I dont think you were eligible?
You're right. But it's all good. Just being a Staff Member means I'm a winner every day. :cool:
 

·
Northwest Chapter
Joined
·
11,824 Posts
FattyTBEXT said:
You're right. But it's all good. Just being a Staff Member means I'm a winner every day. :cool:
I was thinking the same thing! Its still cool to be a staff member, so I know you werent elligbile for the drawing, but you do win everyday!:yes:
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top