Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
All other stock PIDs work like ECT and fuel trims. I imported your CSV file into OBD Fusion on iOS as well as Android and both will just sit at 0 no matter how long the truck runs for. Its got to be the adapter. I'll try another adapter one day. The Bluetooth one I have makes the truck freak out and set warming lights so thats why I was using the WiFi model

·
Registered
Chevy Trailblazer 2008 LTZ (4.2L)
105 Posts
Can you post the PID definition for this? Curious what this really is.
OBD2 Mode and PID 221154
Long name (used in menu) [GM]Oil Temperature (Engine)
Short name (used in displays) Oil Temp
Minimum value (typically 0) 0,0
Maximum value 100.0
Scale factor x1
Unit type C (I have a metric system )
Equation A-40

P.S mr. TJBaker check if this works for you.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
174 Posts
So that is a standard GM extended mode (service 22) pid for oil temp. The odd thing is that without a sensor your vehicle should return a 'NO DATA' response from the pid query and torque should return nothing. Torque cannot make up something, it can only return what the PCM sends it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So this is what I get when I use the Bluetooth OBD2 dongle. It’s the tiny blue one all over eBay. It trips these two lights until I turn the truck off and restart. I noticed torque had a message at the bottom that said OBD Sensor Faulty.
it loaded some of your PIDs though! Such as the knock sensors and o2 read outs. I could select them as torque said it was active but unfortunately the numbers were static And never changed.
So I have to have a bad OBD dongle right?
I’ll see if I can enter your PIDs through ScanXL and return back. Just a PITA to get the computer out there lol!

·
Registered
105 Posts
So that is a standard GM extended mode (service 22) pid for oil temp. The odd thing is that without a sensor your vehicle should return a 'NO DATA' response from the pid query and torque should return nothing. Torque cannot make up something, it can only return what the PCM sends it.
Yes, this is the standard mode Torque, I just added this PID and it works.

P.S From my observations, I noticed that the temperature of the engine oil is approximately always lower by 50 ° F (average) than the temperature of the coolant.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I noticed that the temperature of the engine oil is approximately always lower by 50 ° F (average) than the temperature of the coolant.
Even at a cold start? That might lead me to believe it is an ECM calculated value instead of a sensed value.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Even at a cold start? That might lead me to believe it is an ECM calculated value instead of a sensed value.
No, this is the average temperature of the coolant and engine oil on a fairly long-running machine. (let's say a long trip) Unfortunately, i don’t remember what testimony when I start a cold engine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
average temperature of the coolant and engine oil on a fairly long-running machine.
OK. I have always believed, based primarily on web reading, that for our trucks with no oil pressure sensor (non 2002 4.2 models) that the 1154 pid would return an error. Maybe when they dropped the physical sensor they did some software based replacement?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bluetooth OBD2 dongle. It’s the tiny blue one all over eBay
I have 3 of those little blue mini elm327 clones. All work with some very small variances. I only see that ABS issue your pic displays when using them on my lady's 2018 Chevrolet Express Cargo van, and even then, only if attempting communications with the ABS/EBCM module.

Does the error occur as soon as you plug it in or does it only happen after starting torque or obdfusion ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
OK. I have always believed, based primarily on web reading, that for our trucks with no oil pressure sensor (non 2002 4.2 models) that the 1154 pid would return an error. Maybe when they dropped the physical sensor they did some software based replacement?
It is possible that it is. But I would do an investigation on which machines (I mean the year of manufacture), it works and on which ones not.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
In 2008 GM discontinued the EV fan clutch because of problems. I have a 2004 Envoy and installed a '08 fan clutch and had codes tuned out of the PCM so check engine light stays off. Works like a champ, no more noise or power robbing. Gas mileage back to normal. Highly recommend deleting EV fan clutch.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts