Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've searched thru the forums and it seems most issues with the switch is a no start condition, however my situation is different. Typically on the first start of the day or when the truck is cold the starter will "stick" and run for a second or so even though I've released the key...I get that grinding sound like when a woman holds the key too long and the engine is already running :). No matter how fast I release it, it happens but not when its warm out or the engine is warm.

Switch or starter soleniod? Or other?

thanks for comments

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Probably the starter solenoid hardware itself. Trailvoys have a "smart start" feature where you can blip the ignition switch for 1/10 of a second, and the PCM will run the starter for as long as it takes to get the engine running. It also suppresses the starter if the engine is already running (since it's so quiet) so you can't get that grinding sound. (That by the way, is NOT a good thing to ever classify as a "woman thing" if you want to get second dates with them.)

I'd throw in a rebuilt starter before it messes up your flywheel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably the starter solenoid hardware itself. Trailvoys have a "smart start" feature where you can blip the ignition switch for 1/10 of a second, and the PCM will run the starter for as long as it takes to get the engine running. It also suppresses the starter if the engine is already running (since it's so quiet) so you can't get that grinding sound. (That by the way, is NOT a good thing to ever classify as a "woman thing" if you want to get second dates with them.)

I'd throw in a rebuilt starter before it messes up your flywheel.

Thanks, I've noticed that no matter how short I hold the key, it does it and am worried about the flywheel for sure...

wasn't sure the woman thing would go over, but I'm married and getting dates is not a problem, but I am teaching my 17 year old daughter to drive and she does it constantly...:crazy:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
372 Posts
I think the past couple of mornings i have had the same problem...how hard is it to replace the starter

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I typically do most of my own work but the starter is fairly difficult and I let my mechanic do it. I think several chassis pieces need to be loosened and/or removed - you can't even see the starter from looking under the truck. Needless to say labor cost was high (lots of hours apparentlly) and I also put the best starter I could (no rebuilts or crap brands) because I don't want to pay for that job again.:D

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
on the 4.2 its not too bad. on the v8's it is a major PITA

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
Did you figure out what was causing your problem? I have the same issue on an 06 5.3l. I really don't want to have to replace my starter. However, glad its not TOO expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts