2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
11 Posts
Won't fit 05 TB 4.2

The 05 has a 1" hose coming off the bottom of the airintake hose running towards the rear of the engine. It also does not have a vaccum line running from the fuel pressure regulator. Everything else looks the same on the 03.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
76 Posts
I ordered mine today but was wonder if you have seen any improvements in MPGs? Thanks

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
437 Posts
I ordered mine today but was wonder if you have seen any improvements in MPGs? Thanks
I installed ours a couple weeks ago and I also have a Gibson Exhaust so that might sway the results some too.

Before my exhaust and intake we got about 13-14mpg with city driving which consists of stop light to stop light 0-45 mph here in the florida heat/humidty and A/C Always on when calculated out.. Now after we get 15-16mpg city when calculated out

If you just want to go by gauge placement we got 130 miles of city driving before the marker was at half and now when it hits half we have 150-160 miles on it.

Can't tell you hwy numbers yet, but city numbers were most important to me as that's the majority of our driving.

Your 06 may be different however, since not much of the intake duct is replaced. Only time will tell though!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I saw gains of 1-2 mpg like others.

Mostly, I get a freer acceleration, and a bit of sound, both of which increase the enjoyment of driving the Trailblazer.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
90 Posts
I have a 2004 Envoy XL with an inline 6....what part number am I looking for for this CAI? I found some for $70 and under..but unsure which part number to get.

Dan

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a 2004 Envoy XL with an inline 6....what part number am I looking for for this CAI? I found some for $70 and under..but unsure which part number to get.

Dan
you need part 10500 I believe..but good luck finding one..since true flow is no longer in business there really is no place to purchase one. I searched and searched and every website that actually said they had them, once you added it to your cart and went to pay it said it was unavailable..and the sites that did have 1 or 2 left wanted like $300+ for them..the intake for 2006 and newer are out there and you can find them, but the intake you need for 2002-2005 are the ones you can't find.

Ended up getting a used one I ran across in the classifieds on here so that might be your best bet if you can't find one.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
90 Posts
he heee...yep..just ordered mine last night from sport truck direct for $79.95...just got confirmation this morning that it is shipping.

Hee haw

Dan

·
Registered
437 Posts
Very nice..glad you guys could find them. Your gonna love the sound of your truck afterwards...and your gonna hate your mileage cuz you can't keep your foot out of it being you just wanna hear that sweet sweet sound lol

·
Registered
2002 chevy
226 Posts
there are no recharge kits to be had for these anymore. What do you all use to clean and re-oil.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
45 Posts
Awesome how to, to bad I just won a K&N 77-3036 on Ebay. Got it for 215.00 so price was good enough for me!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
45 Posts
Nice post.

Note: The following is not meant as a hijack. I merely wanted to correct a small bit of information and I mean no offense to anyone here.

Your statement about the PCV system/hoses is incorrect.

The hose for the PCV system that connects to the resonator box from the valvecover is the clean fresh air ventilation hose for the crankcase. Meaning, in a properly operating system, air is drawn from the resonator down into the crankcase through this hose. There is always another hose/passage which acts as a vacuum source to draw a slight vacuum on the crankcase to pull in the blowby gasses to burn them. This vacuum source control device (sometimes an actual valve with a shuttle, sometimes merely a metered passage or fitting) is actually the part/tube that pulls the blowby gasses and oil vapors to burn them. If this control device gets clogged or restricted, it causes the system to basically reverse operation. For our vehicles we have a metered orifice through the cylinder head gasket to a pipe connecting to the intake manifold. Manifold vacuum is used to draw the vapors out of the crankcase.

So, if you have oil in your resonator box, and a dirty throttle body then the vacuum side of the PCV has a failure and needs to be cleaned/inspected. That much oil though means there is excessive blowby. Normal operation causes no oil to be in the resonator box. If there was no oil in the resonator, then the throttle body wouldn't accumulate dirt/debris and would not need to be cleaned. The dirt/debris that accumulate on the throttle body is from the blowby gasses and combustion chamber. Modern fuel injected vehicles do not use a wet style intake tract. Also, normal operation of the PCV system also greatly helps prevent oil leaks, as the engine is under a very small amount of vacuum constantly, and instead of oil pushing past gaskets due to pressure, it's kind of sucked in under vacuum.

Here is a picture of the freshair hose:

And here is a picture of the vaccum side of the system:

This doesn't make sense (to me at least)...the intake is always under vacuum... so the tube that connect to the intake cannot be the source of fresh air for the crank. That's the vacuum souce. I've actually never heard of an engine having a fresh air souce for the crank. The engine block would never be under negative pressure, which helps to "pumping losses" (the force it takes to move the air from behind the pistons). Engines that i'm familir with will have a vacuum source (vent) coming from the valve cover and the block...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Actually, virtually every engine built since the 1960s has used a filtered fresh air intake for the engine (to supply air for the PCV system) that typically gets its air from the air filter housing in some form or fashion. On older Chevy V-8 engines, the air intake was on one valve cover and the PCV was on the other. Inside the big old air filter housing was a small pad of filter media. The PCV valve typically hooked to a port under the carburetor and went to the intake manifold, which is under engine vacuum (the air filter housing is not, save for the drawing force while the engine is pulling in air, which is different from engine vacuum).

The Trailblazer uses a similar setup, sans the PCV valve, which in this case is a metered vacuum port instead of a check valve style like older engines.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts