Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Ive got an 03 envoy xl with 195k.Got it cheap for 700 bucks and have been dumping money into it since then. Plugs, coils, exhaust manifold, 02 sensor, oil flush, vvt solenoid, all fluids and filters changed. I just did a major suspension overhaul. Replaced the air bags in the rear, the shocks, the sway bar links, wheel bearings, seals. Front was cv axles, hubs, ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, and brakes and rotors all around. When i get to the last 1/2 turn of the wheel it keeps turning on its own. It just feels weird. Any ideas on what I should check for? It drives down the road straight and it feels way better than it did prior other than it wanting to finish the turns on its own.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If you are saying it continues by itself as you get to the end of the steering capacity - IOW - at the end of the steering just before the pump relief valve blows off - then it can be from maybe just 2 most obvious-possible things.

1. The alignment is incorrect in that you have (either) too much or too little caster in the adjustment and it is "self-serving" - trying to balance the forces involved in the geometry of the alignment.​
2. The rack is blowing past the balance charge on the compressing side of the ram.​

You should take this to a GOOD shop (emphasis on GOOD) for their assessment.
If #1, above - it should be just a regular front end alignment.
If #2, then it MAY get spend-y.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are saying it continues by itself as you get to the end of the steering capacity - IOW - at the end of the steering just before the pump relief valve blows off - then it can be from maybe just 2 most obvious-possible things.

1. The alignment is incorrect in that you have (either) too much or too little caster in the adjustment and it is "self-serving" - trying to balance the forces involved in the geometry of the alignment.​
2. The rack is blowing past the balance charge on the compressing side of the ram.​

You should take this to a GOOD shop (emphasis on GOOD) for their assessment.
If #1, above - it should be just a regular front end alignment.
If #2, then it MAY get spend-y.
Thanks for the response. Im leaning more towards #1. It was not doing this prior to the replacement parts so it is something I did. Counted the turns on the tie rod ends before replacement but perhaps the new vs old were slightly different lengths.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thanks for the response. Im leaning more towards #1. It was not doing this prior to the replacement parts so it is something I did. Counted the turns on the tie rod ends before replacement but perhaps the new vs old were slightly different lengths.
If you're going for a full-on alignment - fine - but I don't honestly feel that the toe is your problem.

I'm gonna stick with messed up caster.

Can you make the shop that, eventually does the alignment, give you before and after printouts?
They should if they're honest.​
I'd like to see that information - I really would!​

If you drive a vehicle with too much toe - either in or out - it will grind the tires pretty hard and it becomes a challenge to stay inside the white lines on the street.

If the toe is bad enough - you will hear the tires cry while you're driving and might smell burning rubber if it's REALLY bad.

It'll "pinball" or move to one side, you'll compensate, then it'll move the other way and you'll counter steer and this will go on all the time you're going down a road --- pinballing between the white (or yellow) lines.

I do NOT suspect "death wobble" as that is high frequency shimmying that can throw your car into a ditch - and damage a lot of critical steering parts doing so.

If you'd like to learn about alignment and what it takes to get it right - this guy is an excellent teacher ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts