Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says, when im not moving the steering wheel is almost impossible to turn, but when i get moving its not so bad. also i should add that when i start the truck after sitting over night it turns like butter but only for a few seconds. then it goes back to being hard. any help?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Have you checked the PS fluid level? How many miles and have you ever changed the PS fluid? The PS pump may be going. There may be dirt in the fluid clogging the pump. Or, less likely, the steering rack may be going. Does it turn easier if you increase the engine speed?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i have PS fluid just recently changed, the truck has about 86k miles on it and yea as i go faster it get easier to turn, like i said its only when im sitting still its pretty much impossible to turn the wheel. i also have a stupid question. on the power steering dipstick, theres the obvious ADD mark and there 2 other notched C and H can anyone tell me where my fluid should be at the H C or in between?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
33 Posts
sounds like your pump is gone to me. with the engine off grab the PS pulley and pull on it. The shaft on these pumps has a tendency to break and you cannot tell unless you pull the pulley/shaft out. Ive broke 2 so far

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
hmm this is a tough one, if c=cold so h must mean....HOT!!
And here it is I thought H stood for high.:duh: Just kidding but it does sound like the pump might be going bad. Good luck.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2 Posts
Did you fix it?

Your problem is my exact problem. The morning thing clinched it....anyway I know this was a few years ago, but did you fix it? If so anything you could share would be great!!

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
67 Posts
When I cut into the low pressure hose and patched it the steering acted this way for me rigth after. Left it overnight and it cured itself , guess the air bubbled out of the system ? :p

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8 Posts
With only 80k miles I wouldn't think the pump or rack & pinion would be out. I would say you have a little air in the system. Jack the front wheels off the ground and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times, holding at each side for a few seconds without the engine running. Check fluid levels and do the same thing with the engine running.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.