Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
230 Posts
would anyone happen to how can i tap into the power for the audio steering wheel controls for my replacement hu?

I need to connect these wires

the 2 wires are the power for the steering wheel and the other is the data wire of the steering. Anyone know where they are. Sorry cant download the photo for some reason

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
There's a forum FAQ about how to attach photos on trailvoy for hosting. Under the resources tab. But it's sort of obvious if you click the manage attachments button when you're posting.

What kind of steering wheel is your HU supposed to interface to?

We don't have "data" as such coming out of the steering wheel. Pressing buttons switches in a choice of discrete resistors, and that signal goes to the BCM for measurement, and then the BCM sends a serial data stream to the OEM radio, so what comes out of the steering wheel isn't usable by anything except an adapter specially designed to work with only certain head units.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
21 Posts
Power can go anywhere there's switched 12volt power for most units (I've used PAC and one other that I can't think of)

The data wire goes under the steering column wire 12 I think on the top. (counting down from the right side) I seem to recall it's light green (anyone?)

My steering wheel controls were fairly clear, but you had to use the trailblazer information not the GMC Truck/SUV info (that threw me off a little with the Envoy)

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
846 Posts
Does anyone know if Crutchfield supplies this info when you order from them?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
21 Posts
I've never personally ordered from the, but i have installed friends stereos that were purchsed from them... THey supplied everything for the unit from how to tear the dash apart to pictures and wiring in structions for everything (including this information).

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the reason I would need to connect these wires is because the new HU is supposedly steering wheel compatible. I would assume it needs the power from the steering wheel and data wire in order to function properly. Any one know where I can get any more elaborate info on my harness breakdown for the steering column? These cars these days really seem rediculous with all these extras for a modification. I mean I've always done my own work on previous vehicles but after 2002 everything is computer logic which I despise. Anyway I'll keep looking around if anyone can send me a link to where I can find the column harness breakdown I will greatly appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.