Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. ‘08 Envoy SLT here. I have a strange problem. I noticed that when I was turning my steering wheel, the lights on the controls were flickering on/off. When the lights go out, so do all the functions. All the radio controls, (top row), still work fine, it’s just the display controls that don’t, (bottom row). After disassembling the steering column, and tracing the wire to the light, I was at least able to snip it, so the lights were blinking when I turned the wheel, but it’s annoying to not be able to check tire pressure, etc, without stopping, and turning my wheel to a certain position. Was thinking about just doing the clock spring, but seems like a daunting task, and if there’s something easier that can be done, I’d rather try that first. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Your story reminds me of the proctologist who decided to become a mechanic and was taking night-adult classes for a certificate.

The final exam was to rebuild a 4-cylinder engine and start it and have it successfully run for 1/2 hour on a test stand.

The ex-proctologist didn't get his final assignment in in time and the instructor asked if he needed more time.
"Yes" he said, "I need another week".​
"OK, but that's the absolute final time I can let you have since I've got to start the next class" said the instructor.​
Well ... the student/doctor made it on time and the engine ran flawlessly - better than most of the other engines built by the rest of the class as a matter of fact. The instructor was impressed with the quality of the work and told the student that it was worth it for the entry to be so late.​

The instructor asked the student why it took so long to rebuild the engine.

The student said: "I don't know how the others did it so fast because I found it really hard to get all those parts installed up the exhaust pipe".

Now - the moral to YOUR story: Yes --- you can replace the clock spring by whatever technique you want - but it's really SUPPOSED to go in once you remove the steering wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lmao, I like that, but I don’t really see the relevance. I’ve obviously had the steering wheel off many times, inspected all the wires, traced each wire down, etc. Everything seems to be good, but when I put it back together, it cuts out again. The question was really if anyone else had run into this issue and what was it, and if it could even possible be the clock spring causing that.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Yeah --- it might've been in code in that little story - but yeah - I see the clock spring as a possible likely culprit.

I went off on you when you said: (ibid).....Was thinking about just doing the clock spring, but seems like a daunting task, and if there’s something easier that can be done, I’d rather try that first. Thanks for your help!

Time to get out your DVOM and test the circuits going IN and OUT of that clockspring.

This would be ANOTHER place to use a Logic Probe.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Addendum ---- I mean --- WHAT could possibly be "positionally related" other then the clockspring? It's the only moving part in those same circuits - right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.