Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked is the suspension forum but no answer.
Ok the power steering is whinnying really loud. The reservoir is full and there's no leaks. Everything seems to be intact but there's obviously a problem.

I have a base model 2002. If I need a steering rack do I order the one with 16mm tie rods or 14mm?

Also, how can I be sure it's my steering rack like I think it is?

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
when does it whine?
with wheels straight or with with wheels turned all way to either side?

if wheels straight, then i say its most likely the pump? any leaks?

my drivers side inner tie rod leaked for 6 months with torn boot before I replaced the entire rack. not a bad job. rack is not too costly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It whines going straight and makes no to small difference when turning.
As soon as the truck starts it whines.
No leaks at all.

If it were the rack. Do I order the 14 mm tie rods or 16 mm tie rods? Base model.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pump is easier to do than the rack. I can do both jobs but let me know if I should just do the pump first.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
has to be the pump, easy enough test is to remove serpantine belt and start it up.

if no whine, then its the pump.
last resort, try to use some Lucas power steering conditioner. might make it last a bit longer. and reduce the whine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense, thank you. I'll test that today.
Looks like I can get an ACDelco pump from RockAuto for 62 bucks. Assuming I can just switch over the reservoir.

Thanks again, I'll try to remember to report back to confirm if it was the pump.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My son delivered my 05 TB with a noisy pump on the engine and a GM new pump still in the box. So far... and just 4000 miles into ownership... I haven't yet changed for the new and hopefully quieter pump.

It's still working and no 'Mechanic in a Bottle' will make it quiet. I'll wait till after the Spring Thaw..... which we either just missed last week when it got to 48°F for two days, or is yet to happen. Either way... it's still functioning well so it's no big deal.

If you experience tugging or uneven assist... then replace it quickly.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
69 Posts
This recently happened on my 2004 Honda, and in that case, it was a hardened o-ring allowing air to get sucked into the pump suction side. I don't guess that should be the case for most GM stuff, but I wonder if there is air getting into your fluid somewhere? For the crazy Honda design, the pump sucks fluid uphill!! Good luck.

Rob in AZ

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hey Rob --- thanks for that. I remember that problem from years ago concerning the Hondas - so I'll take a look at the Chevy pump.

I don't remember any place on the suction side that can be leaking to let air in - and I'd bet that if it was below the fluid's level, it'd be wet with PS fluid too. Maybe not..

I'll take a look tomorrow - if I don't go fishing instead --- I AM retired, ya know! I have a new-rebuilt PS pump in the box and I'll look it over to see - checking for o-rings and gaskets --- on the suction/return side that is.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
47 Posts
Had the same problem on my '06 TB with the factory pump where it began to whine. I replaced it with a Carbone brand rebuild, and that pump started to mildly whine after about 10 months. After listening to the whine for about a year, it became louder, but the steering still remained tight and did not "walk". I then went back to RA and bought the AC Delco rebuild with the tank attached, installed it, and made sure to bleed all the old fluid out of the system. At the first startup I was amazed how quiet the pump was and how quiet the steering was lock to lock. From my experience the AC Delco is the way to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In spite of the fact that they're commonly a somewhat solid part made of steel, it's very basic for a controlling rack to flop on a more seasoned vehicle. Because of its area, the rack is presented to both high underhood temperatures and presented to a wide range of components underneath the vehicle. Rehashed hits from street trash can harm inner bushings and cause a hole. The liquid may get defiled, permitting grating coarseness into the apparatuses. There's no way around those initial two issues, yet precaution upkeep will enable a controlling to rack last more. In particular, it's critical to change your capacity controlling liquid on schedule for greatest execution and unwavering quality.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
47 Posts
In spite of the fact that they're commonly a somewhat solid part made of steel, it's very basic for a controlling rack to flop on a more seasoned vehicle. Because of its area, the rack is presented to both high underhood temperatures and presented to a wide range of components underneath the vehicle. Rehashed hits from street trash can harm inner bushings and cause a hole. The liquid may get defiled, permitting grating coarseness into the apparatuses. There's no way around those initial two issues, yet precaution upkeep will enable a controlling to rack last more. In particular, it's critical to change your capacity controlling liquid on schedule for greatest execution and unwavering quality.
Do you perform ISO 9001 analysis for a major automotive manufacturer or Tier 1 supplier?

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
259 Posts
Hyperbole .

·
Registered
461 Posts
I can ALMOST catch the drift of this answer.... and re-reading it a few times makes me smile. For one, I appreciate the post even where the translation falls off the rails. However... its uniqueness and strange juxtaposition of words in no way denigrates the gist of the message.

As an English Lit Major in college, I really enjoy when foreign languages are called upon to cite technical ideas.

In all truth (tongue in cheek here) I've never had a steering rack flop. That being said, I've never allowed any of my fluids to become defiled either.

Somehow I think this post wasn't in English originally, and Google Translate morphed it into some really odd syntax.

A+ for effort though...... and my day has started with a smile. Thanks, Deborahjlinares!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
23 Posts
I can ALMOST catch the drift of this answer.... and re-reading it a few times makes me smile. For one, I appreciate the post even where the translation falls off the rails. However... its uniqueness and strange juxtaposition of words in no way denigrates the gist of the message.

As an English Lit Major in college, I really enjoy when foreign languages are called upon to cite technical ideas.

In all truth (tongue in cheek here) I've never had a steering rack flop. That being said, I've never allowed any of my fluids to become defiled either.

Somehow I think this post wasn't in English originally, and Google Translate morphed it into some really odd syntax.

A+ for effort though...... and my day has started with a smile. Thanks, Deborahjlinares!
I'm glad to see your post. I thought I was losing it!

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
3 Posts
It whines going straight and makes no to small difference when turning.
As soon as the truck starts it whines.
No leaks at all.

If it were the rack. Do I order the 14 mm tie rods or 16 mm tie rods? Base model.
My TB whined. It was an idler pulley.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If air is entering this PS system, there'll likely be foam in the reservoir while the engine is running.

When I change out my pump later when it gets warmer, I'll disassemble my current noisy pump and confirm that the pump itself has a rotor or impeller or regulator problem or not.....depending on the design of the pump.

Ford pumps had a very high noise failure problem and it turns out it was the rollers. We'll see what we'll see then. I've rebuilt many Ford units, so I'm familiar with their high failure parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like air in the system. You can get adapters that fit in the reservoir opening to attach a vacuum pump like a Mityvac. You create a vacuum while the engine/pump is running, and turn the wheel back and forth to purge the system. My understanding of the Saginaw pump and rack system of the Trailblazer et al are notoriously difficult to purge once air is entrained (especially if trapped in the rack area).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts