Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All-
I have a 2004 TrailBlazer. When I turn the steering wheel either all the way to the left or the right, then try to turn back to straighten the wheel, something in the steering is catching. It's almost like its binding on something because it's really difficult to get past that "stickey point". I checked fluid levels and went through everything the repair manual suggested, nothing. Please help me with this. Thank you so much! :crazy:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Any history of hitting curbs, rocks, etc.?

Can you get someone to look at the front end while you turn the wheel? You might be able to spot if it's a steering knuckle hanging up on something.

Otherwise, if it was my truck, I'd jack up and support the front end, then take off the outer tie rod ends from the steering knuckles. Then it should be easy to see if it's a damaged steering rack or the steering knuckles.

Other than that, we can't recommend much more without knowing if you have the tools and confidence to rebuild the steering rack & pinion assembly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't hit anything. I do know that when I bought the truck back in December, the guy that owned it before me had a hit and run accident, on the front passenger side. The accident cracked the dash and windshield, also the front bumper and headlight were replaced. I looked all over under the truck, didn't see anything unusual. To the eye, can't see any thing with the steering but am able to hear where it's coming from. I think I'm gonna have to dismantle part of the steering system. It'll definitely be a weekend project. Will update when I find out. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there,
I wanted to let you know that I ended up seeing an ad for Midas, for a free inspection. I went up there and they inspected the steering/suspension. Apparently, when the previous owner got into the accident, it shifted the rack and pinion about 180 degrees, causing it to rub against the tire and related parts. They quoted me $209.00 just to shift it back in place. They also said that as along as I didn't turn the wheel all the way to the end that it shouldn't be an issue, just an inconvenience. Any idea how long it would take to shift this back into place? Is it something I could do myself, with little knowledge? Thanks!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
180 deg.... ? That sounds like a lot with out really breaking something. Be careful about shops that quote strange things. Look under this weekend and get back to us with what you find. Take pictures if you can, from both far left and far right with the steering.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tech diagnosed it like this: When the wheel was turned all the way to the right it only took the steering wheel 1.5 turn to get to then end; then when he turned it to the left all the way, he said the steering wheel went around twice before it hit the end.(The problem is with the drivers side) He also said that the steering wheel should have equal turn both ways to hit the end of the turning radius'. That's how he quoted it was off. The main problem is the drivers side tire hits all the components, like the tire goes to far inward & outward. It still sounds a bit strange to me.:undecided:weird:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts