Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 Envoy that wouldn't start. It jumpstarted and spent the rest of the day running fine. The wife has been to stores so, it has been started and turned off all day with no other problems. I had the battery tested and it showed fine. I tested the alt and it is giving about 14.8 volts. But if it runs for a while, the volt gauge on the dash moves back and forth a little and you can notice a little bit of flickering in the dome lights. While this happens, the a/c is on and I didn't notice a difference when it was turned off. So, do you think that the battery is bad and they are not seeing it as bad when it is tested? I looked around on the site but was unable to find a similar problem.

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
314 Posts
Battery Loosing Charge

How old is the battery ? Second Question is there a loose connection from the generator ,I'd sort this out then go from there. A battery lasts under average conditions about 4 years maybe 5 years.
Springbuck:m2:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
The volt meter moving around a little is normal I think. And you can find way too many posts on here about flickering lights.

What did it do when it wouldn't start?

Just thinking it may be an ignition switch starting to go. That's a fairly common thing (knock on wood) - search 'ignition switch'.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The volt meter moving around a little is normal I think. And you can find way too many posts on here about flickering lights.

What did it do when it wouldn't start?

Just thinking it may be an ignition switch starting to go. That's a fairly common thing (knock on wood) - search 'ignition switch'.
The battery is the original battery and the we bought the truck new about 2 years ago. It only has about 41,000 miles on it. When it wouldn't start, it started to crank and then clicked like if there was a dead or weak battery. Once the jumper cables were hooked up, it started right away and driven home. It continued to start normal the rest of the day. So, didn't know if it was a one time thing or where to start looking for a problem. I took the battery connections off and cleaned them and made sure that they were tight but don't have any idea where to go next.

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The battery is the original battery and the we bought the truck new about 2 years ago. It only has about 41,000 miles on it. When it wouldn't start, it started to crank and then clicked like if there was a dead or weak battery. Once the jumper cables were hooked up, it started right away and driven home. It continued to start normal the rest of the day. So, didn't know if it was a one time thing or where to start looking for a problem. I took the battery connections off and cleaned them and made sure that they were tight but don't have any idea where to go next.

Thanks.
I just had the same problem with my 06 Trailblazer, the battery did show good, but under load the cranking amps were only 346 and not 700 like the battery has on the label. The dealership said the "battery health" was not good. I had the charging system checked and a draw test was done. I thought it was an ignition switch, but the battery which was just replaced was a defective battery. My 06 has 75k and the just replaced the OE battery. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
33 Posts
well do some trouble shooting then
to check if your battery is retaining its power
disconnect either the negative or positive side cable from the battery
and leave it like that during the night.
in the morning connect the cable you disconnected
and if your car starts then you have a good battery

So if your car starts then either your alternator
or your starter is bad

To Check your alternator
turn on your envoy and disconnect any of the terminals while running
if your truck turns off then your alternator is POSSIBLY bad

Now the starter
well i really dont have a way of troubleshooting the starter
but ill give you some info
if a starter is bad it will lock up and the 12v or cranking amps of the battery will not be sufficient to unlock it so it will start the engine
therefore adding jumper cables it will eventually make it work

also starters tend to drain your batteries when bad
so its something you might want to look in to

just giving some advice
hope you get it fixed :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe the OEM Battery

You did not state if you pulled any DTCs from the PCM. If your battery is weak or bad and it started and then died, you will have DTCs stored in the computer.

If your battery is bad and not up to what is termed "industry standards", then it will not properly charge. If that is the case, it will start and run until the computer sees the battery and/or charging problem and shuts the engine down. Great design, huh? Be glad you are not in the middle of nowhere, without any help, if it happens.

You should have the battery checked and tested by those establishments that have the proper and/or good quality Battery Checker.

I have had many people tell me that their experience was that GM OEM batteries are real POS and only last 2 years:hissy:, regardless of what it states on the battery. Yes, the batteries used in virtually all of the 2004 and later years GM Light Trucks will state "6 Year Warranty", you have to go back to a dealer:bonk:. Once you get their price:nono:, there is a nearly 100 percent chance you can buy a higher-quality, greater CCA, longer warranty battery somewhere else CONSIDERABLY cheaper.

If you are a member of Costco, I recommend you buy it there. Can not beat the price and the first 36 months is a complete FREE replacement, with no questions asked. Have yet to find a rare few that will do that.:thumbsup:

My experience is that the GM OEM batteries may last a little more than 3 years, or just right after the Bumper-To-Bumper warranty is up. I think some fella named Murphy wrote a Law about that. I have NEVER had one go even 4 years. Aftermarket replacements can go as much as 7 years, providing you have no problems with your charging system or other systems.

If your 2007 still has the Bumper-To-Bumper General warranty, the battery will be replaced by the dealer. It should be replaced free of charge. If they do anything else, I would say, no thanks :undecided and go somewhere else.

You can use the Service Dept of any dealer or you can go to places such as AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, etc. The advantage of places like the auto parts stores is that they will TEST IT FOR FREE!! The auto parts stores have the proper high-quality battery checkers. They can test for cranking load, dead cells and other parameters. Many of them have a printout that will show you the test results. You can even take the battery out of the vehicle and carry it to several stores to see if everyone agrees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts