Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Have on 06 Envoy with a 5.3l and 52k miles on it..
About 2.5 weeks ago I put Chevron fuel as usual, however not from the same place. I drive for a 3 miles turn off the engine. I watch a ball game, when I come back the engine wont start. I turn the key to the start position but nothing happens. On the third try starts and I get a check engine light. Well the car not starting was puzzling, but I figure the check engine light was on because I didn't close the gas cap tight enough. So turn off the engine recheck the gas cap and try to start again. This time engine starts up fine, but check engine light was still on, but figure it will clearing after a fuel miles.

Next day sure enough the check engine light was off and was able to start the car. Through out the week and the next; starting the car would randomly take 2 or 3 turns of the key, but usually starts.

But today was different. Today about to leave from work. I wasn't able to start the car. When the car finally start the idle was rough, I have a check engine light, reduced power light, stability track light, and the DIC stating Stability track OFF.

I turn the car off.. I check to see if there is oil, wait 5 minutes, and the car started again, with the check engine light on..

Can anyone shed some light? FYI I did have an oil change at approx. 51k.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
You are going to have to get the codes read. But off hand I'm thinking ignition switch (for the no start), battery dieing and resetting the PCM (for the no start, rough idle and s-track going wonky, etc.) or dirty throttle body (for the rough idle).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a battery issue?
I put the key in the run position and I noticed that voltage meter was at the halfway point between the 9 and 14. As well as the warning "icon" lights started dimming. However the backlight was still well lit, the radio, and the accessories still worked, the air pump worked, interior lights worked, and etc.

what should the voltage meeter read prior to starting the car? after a few minutes it did start. However I got the check engine light, lower power light, stability track light, the DIC stating that stability track was off, and the engine idle was rough. When I started it this morning only thing I get was the check engine light.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
First of all, the gauge is not a volt meter. It is not much more than an "idiot" light used in some cars. It is only there to indicate everything is ok, or, something is wrong.

You need to have the PCM codes read. That will tell us what sensor is causing the "light" to light.

My guess (and that is all it is at this point), you may have "bad" gas. Gas with water, or some other contaminate.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
When you get the codes read, get the battery load tested.:m2:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went and got codes:
P1682 - ignition switch
P1516 - TAC (Throttle Actuator Control)

the ignition switch is pretty much self explanatory. however the where do I begin with the TAC? could this be the cause of my rough idle and reduced power light?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
You are going to have to get the codes read. But off hand I'm thinking ignition switch (for the no start), battery dieing and resetting the PCM (for the no start, rough idle and s-track going wonky, etc.) or dirty throttle body (for the rough idle).
I went and got codes:
P1682 - ignition switch
P1516 - TAC (Throttle Actuator Control)
Good call WOOLUF1952! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Those two codes are probably being set because of a low battery voltage condition while cranking. If you want this truely diagnosed, you need to go to the dealer and they can look at the freeze frame data when the code(s) set and see for sure if that is what happened. However, with your truck being 4-5 years old, I suspect the battery is indeed the problem here (or the alternator if it isn't charging the battery).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my battery as well as my alternator tested. Alternator was good.

the battery was 80% life left and 100% charged, 12.5 volts and the guy who did the test stated the battery and the alt was good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts