Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevy trailblazer lt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i went to start my 2004 trailblazer the other morning and as i turned the key the truck started to turn over and then the starter just started making this whinning noise. So i figured starter was going bad so i yanked it off and took it and had it tested to test good. So i bout some shims and put them on as i put the starter back on. When i went to turn it over it started to turn over and then find out my battery is dead. So i have it on charge now has thid ever happened to anyone if so can someone give me a little advice thanks for qny and all help.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,156 Posts
What was the tooth pattern that made you decide to insert those shims?

Dead battery as an aside .... you're not telling the whole story here --- is this a remanufactured starter ("new" to you) that was installed and has a problem ...

.... or is this a previously good performing starter that has met its Use-By Date?

No matter --- post the following information:
Year - Make - Model - Engine Size - Interior Color

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,008 Posts
Also, any and all OBDII codes.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
629 Posts
WHAT ENGINE? Inline Six, or V-8?

then the starter just started making this whinning noise.
Sounded like a siren?

If so, the usual problem is that the starter drive (one-way clutch) is failing. They'll catch...and slip...and catch. The more they wear, the more often they'll slip and the starter motor winds up like a 110-volt sewing machine plugged into 220.

Years ago, we'd buy a starter drive, brushes, and perhaps some other starter parts (Leather washer, shift fork, two bushings, maybe a solenoid) as needed, and rebuild the starter on the tailgate of someone's pickup. Today, it's enormously more common to buy a "Mexican rebuilt" or "Junk Chinese New" starter, either of which will carry a warranty, come in a pretty box, and not need to be degreased before installation.

i yanked it off and took it and had it tested to test good.
Off-the-car "testing" is a TOTAL CRAPSHOOT. They can tell you that the starter is bad. They can't tell you that the starter is "good", because they probably aren't testing it like it would be operated in the vehicle.

So i bout some shims and put them on as i put the starter back on.
Almost certainly a mistake. If that starter worked good for years and years, it didn't need shims when it was put back on.

A DIFFERENT (replacement) starter may or may not need shims.

When i went to turn it over it started to turn over and then find out my battery is dead. So i have it on charge now has thid ever happened to anyone if so can someone give me a little advice thanks for qny and all help.
Fully-charge the battery. Battery should have 12.6--12.7 volts when checked an hour after you're done charging. Might have 13+ volts immediately after charging due to "surface charge"; but that's not sustainable.

Consider having the battery tested. Again, off-the-car testing is not even a half-ass operation, more like a quarter-ass operation--but it's better than nothing. Ideally, the starter, alternator, regulator, battery, AND THE WIRE HARNESS THAT CONNECTS THEM ALL is tested on-the-vehicle at the same time.

There's a possibility that the battery was nearly dead, which caused undesirable starter operation. My guess is that the starter drive is failing, and the battery/alternator/regulator needs some attention; and the two faults (starter whine, and dead battery) aren't related. However, it's a possibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I haven't replied had some things go on. So put new starter on and it cranks over just fine now. But now had to replace fuel pump and it's crazy bc with the relay in the pump doesn't come on but with a jumper wire the pump does come on and ideas

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Sounds like a bad relay (for the fuel pump).

Congrats on the starter.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I would check and make sure the other 2 relay terminals (control circuit side of relay) are behaving as they should - one should go to ground, and the other should show battery voltage when the ignition key is in run.

When you say you are using a jumper wire are you going between the power side relay contacts on the fuse block?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would check and make sure the other 2 relay terminals (control circuit side of relay) are behaving as they should - one should go to ground, and the other should show battery voltage when the ignition key is in run.

When you say you are using a jumper wire are you going between the power side relay contacts on the fuse block?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Thanks for the picture!!!! Now the other 2 spaces for the relay, one is for ground and the other will be 12 VDC. If you do not see either, then there could be a problem with the wiring inside of the fuse block.

There is a solid copper wire bus for the 12 VDC and sometimes one of the runners from it to the relay contacts will fracture. The solution is to solder the fracture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts