Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2006 Envoy Denali has a starting problem today. Up until today everything was fine. Then this morning my wife took it for a short drive. Then it was parked and I replaced the air shocks in the back like everyone else here has had to do. Then I used the key "on" feature to run the air compressor and blow up the new bags without starting it up. Then I lowered the truck and replaced the spare and buttoned everything up. The only electrical item I touched was the 30 amp fuse for the compressor while I was working on the system. When I tried to started the truck to take it on a test drive I had nothing. All lights and items came on as normal including the air compressor and internal heater fan. But when I went to the "start" positon the engine wouldn't crank. I tried to jump the system with my silverado but that was not the issue. I checked the battery and was getting 12.5V at and during starting before jumping but I tried it as a simply check.

After reading other posts I did some more troubleshooting. I verified that the fuses were good and that the starter relay in the hood fuse block was pulling in when the key was turned. The relay only clicks once and then nothing. Of course my vehicle is the 5.3L V8 so the starter is buried. I could barley see it let along get a tester on the leads into the solinoid to verify power but I finnaly lifted up the passenger front to look at the starter. I proceded to tap it a few times but that was it. Then after lowering the truck I tried it again and nothing. But when I tried it a second time it fired right up without a hitch. After all the threads that I could find they all boiled down to two fixes. Either their problem was the ignition module or the starter/solinoid.

My question is if my ignition module was the culpurate would I have had the starter relay pull in? I am thinking not and in turn my starter is the problem but since it will take me all day to pull the dumb thing out I would really like to have more confidence before I take this on. The starter is not spinning or moving and the engine is not turning over. If it was an older vehicle I would say that starter was in a dead spot but I am not sure if this can happen on mine.

Help,

Matt

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am very dissapointed. My question has been up for two weeks and has many visits yet I do not have an answer. It seems like the other quesitons have responses right away within a few days. Does anyone on this forum have the knowledge base to answer my question?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does start now and only done this the one time. I know the switch can be a problem that is why I was hoping my relay pulling in would be good indicator.

So Short are you saying that if inginition switch was failing that the relay would still get power to it under the hood and pull in? I would have thought that if the module was bad preventing the signal from going out to start the car that I would not get voltage to the relay. But that is why I am asking the question to everyone here to get more info.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
104 Posts
It's not a module it a SWITCH. They are known to wear and cause all types of intermittent problems.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
Starter or Ignition module

Well I have this problem again as well. My question is to Paper Enginner did you solve this?
I am having starting problems, replaced the switch and am still not starting consistently. Am about ready to do the starter.

The symptoms are:
-turn key does nothing (the lights ect come on, there is power)
-hold key in start position for maybe 10 seconds and it may start (or not)
-if you push on the key mechanism it can move up and turn on the battery light and show the gear lights (P,N,R,D...) and drain the battery overnite.
-the charging system is working properly including battery

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
4 Posts
03 Envoy 4.2L start problem

Good afternoon Jim and other forum members

My current problem started with the exact same symptoms you listed...any slight move of the ignition switch after key is removed results in battery drain and ultimate death of battery due to repeated deep discharges. I replaced the battery yesterday, still no start. I checked the relative fuses and starter relay, all ok. I jumped the starter relay so that turning the key to run position would energize the female terminal 85 and provide voltage to female term connection 87, which powers the starter solenoid. This bypasses the PCM starter relay circuit. Starter turns over when turning the key to 'run' position, engine trys to start, but starves and dies on initial try. It just cranks with no sputter after the intitial try. 'Security' light stays on, so I'm wondering if the PCM needs to be reset in order to get the damn thing to start. Anybody ever ran into this conundrum b4? I don't have a diagnostic, so I can't check for a code.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Passlock relearn

Try this for passlock relearn - found this why researching my problem

The security issue is involved with the key cylinder passlock system. It might have a fault in the wiring, in which case a dealer visit might be necessary. Or you might bring it back to life with a relearning procedure:

30 Minute Learn Procedure (requires no tools)
1) Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2) Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. (engine will not start)
3) Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4) Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5) Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles (30 minutes). The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

In other words, don't forget the final step 4 before you try to start the car.

6) Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
4 Posts
Yes, that's the magic spell that brought the Envoy back to life! I found that procedure yesterday while making one last gasp of an effort before calling the tow truck. It had been posted by the 'The Roadie' a few years ago. He really seems to know all of the quirks and idiosynchrosies of these vehicles. Thanks for the follow-up, you were right on target.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Envoy Denali. While stopped at a light it quit on me. I got it started after a minute or so and got it into our garage. This morning it started again then quit. Now the key is stuck in the ignition and the engine won't even turn over. Power is good lights radio all comes on right away. I unplugged positive terminal after testing with charger so that battery doesn't drain but car is stuck in garage for the time being. Any suggestions as to how I can get my car running again?

Thank you
Ryan
SEMPER FI

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
I have a similar problem if you don't mind. My 06 trailblazer is at a no crank no start stand still. I've ohmed every fuse and starter component. Jump wired 87 to 30 on the underhood fuse box underneath the starter relay and got nothing. I tried the passlock reset but the theft light is not on.

The front window locks are disabled and the front window switches are also disabled, the back windows work just fine. I threw a code reader and it only tells me to check the connection on the ODB reader. I'm guessing the ignition has went out and maybe something behind the door panel like a poor connection. Any ideas why it's not sending power to the starter relay? And also after testing the starter with a screwdriver, the motor turned over but no fuel.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
1 Posts
I have a 06 Gmc Envoy Denali 5.3L v8. Every once in a while I will tempt to start next Lloyd lights come on but engine won't start. Is it the starter or ignition switch? Please help

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
43 Posts
I tried to follow this procedure, but after attempting to start the truck and moving back to the ON position, nothing shuts off. Not sure what security telltale I'm looking for? I've waited 15 min and nothing happens.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
3 Posts
My 2006 Envoy Denali has a starting problem today. Up until today everything was fine. Then this morning my wife took it for a short drive. Then it was parked and I replaced the air shocks in the back like everyone else here has had to do. Then I used the key "on" feature to run the air compressor and blow up the new bags without starting it up. Then I lowered the truck and replaced the spare and buttoned everything up. The only electrical item I touched was the 30 amp fuse for the compressor while I was working on the system. When I tried to started the truck to take it on a test drive I had nothing. All lights and items came on as normal including the air compressor and internal heater fan. But when I went to the "start" positon the engine wouldn't crank. I tried to jump the system with my silverado but that was not the issue. I checked the battery and was getting 12.5V at and during starting before jumping but I tried it as a simply check.

After reading other posts I did some more troubleshooting. I verified that the fuses were good and that the starter relay in the hood fuse block was pulling in when the key was turned. The relay only clicks once and then nothing. Of course my vehicle is the 5.3L V8 so the starter is buried. I could barley see it let along get a tester on the leads into the solinoid to verify power but I finnaly lifted up the passenger front to look at the starter. I proceded to tap it a few times but that was it. Then after lowering the truck I tried it again and nothing. But when I tried it a second time it fired right up without a hitch. After all the threads that I could find they all boiled down to two fixes. Either their problem was the ignition module or the starter/solinoid.

My question is if my ignition module was the culpurate would I have had the starter relay pull in? I am thinking not and in turn my starter is the problem but since it will take me all day to pull the dumb thing out I would really like to have more confidence before I take this on. The starter is not spinning or moving and the engine is not turning over. If it was an older vehicle I would say that starter was in a dead spot but I am not sure if this can happen on mine.

Help,

Matt
I have the same problem, I replaced the ignition switch 2 x first a dorman the second a GM switch still wont start or turn over, I watch several youtube videos and I ordered a starter, but had shoulder surgery and haven't put the starter in yet. So the switch never fixed mine and my analyzer never should and problem. So it leave the starter, when I took my new Traverse in for it's first service I asked the service manager told me the starter is a huge problem more then the ignition switch

1 - 16 of 16 Posts