Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has installed the Stainless Works Headers or True duals for the TBSS on a TB with the 5.3 (swb)? I'm thinking about doing it on mine. I've spoken to the people at Stainless works and they said the headers should work ok since the 6.0 and the 5.3 are the same but they aren't sure about the exhaust. They didn't know dimensionally how the transfer case and transmission on the TBSS would compare to the TB 5.3.

I'm guessing they should be very similar. Can anyone confirm if the transfer case and transmission are similar in size between the TBSS and TB 5.3 4x4?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
IIRC, if you look at Compnine, the exhaust parts for the 5.3 SWB and the SS are the same part numbers.

Mike

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Interesting as the SS exhaust has a different tip than the 5.3.

Spong, it will fit. No dimensional differences between the transmission or transfer case between the 4WD TB and AWD SS. (AWD Bravy/Rainiers might be different).

Headers guaranteed, there are a few guys on the tbssowners site running them on blown 5.3s. The true duals shouldnt be an issue either, the only issue will probably be at the rear where the tips are.

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys! :hail::thumbsup: I told the guy at Stainless works on the phone today that I was pretty sure everything underneath was the same but I wasn't positive. The trans was the biggest unknown for me.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
700R4 = 4L60 = 4L60E = 4L65E = 4L70E
(in terms of dimensions, they're essentially the same case throughout, all the "-E" versions are identical on the outside with maybe the exception of some wiring)

Good to go, report back with what you end up with!

Getting a cam at the same time? Maybe some efans for better mileage?:D

·
3,700 Posts
Just checked Compnine again... The cats/Y-pipe are the same P/N for both LS2 and LH6, but there isn't a number listed for the muffler/pipe on the SS to compare to the LH6... The tip is different, but everything else looks the same...

Mike

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
700R4 = 4L60 = 4L60E = 4L65E = 4L70E
(in terms of dimensions, they're essentially the same case throughout, all the "-E" versions are identical on the outside with maybe the exception of some wiring)

Good to go, report back with what you end up with!

Getting a cam at the same time? Maybe some efans for better mileage?:D
I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet. I've got the cash in hand but it's going toward house related stuff. I'll have to do some saving up for the headers and true duals.

I've been running Efans since 2007 so I've got that covered. I don't know about a cam, I really don't want to tear into the engine. What other external modes could I do that don't require tearing into the engine? Already have Efans, CAI and Tune.

Just checked Compnine again... The cats/Y-pipe are the same P/N for both LS2 and LH6, but there isn't a number listed for the muffler/pipe on the SS to compare to the LH6... The tip is different, but everything else looks the same...

Mike
Thanks for checking into it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 gmc
1,518 Posts
I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet. I've got the cash in hand but it's going toward house related stuff. I'll have to do some saving up for the headers and true duals.

I've been running Efans since 2007 so I've got that covered. I don't know about a cam, I really don't want to tear into the engine. What other external modes could I do that don't require tearing into the engine? Already have Efans, CAI and Tune.

Vortech ;)

Kidding.....seems like you have it covered except for the exhaust....headers will let her flow alot better...and sound great too.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Must have missed the efans part before, too many people on here to keep track of everyones mods haha!

With efans installing a cam isnt that hard (so Ive been told, I might do one this summer but its probably only a 30% chance or so) and you pick up serious power. I think Alvin has dyno charts of TBSSs picking up a 35-65hp depending on the cam and other bolt-ons. You wont gain quite as much having a 5.3, but still maybe 25-50hp is impressive.

Maybe an underdrive pulley, but thats about it for external bolt-ons. If you really wanted to, a Magnacharger is completely bolt-on too...:D:bonk:

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would LOVE to do a supercharger but then you get into issues with the transmission. Speaking of transmission, I would also love a 6-speed automatic. 6L80E IIRC?

I'm thinking if I really wanted to have fun, maybe find a TBSS 6.0, build it up and bolt a 6L80E to it. Then again, if I'm going to do all that, I might as well just buy a TBSS!

What about porting different parts? I've heard about people porting intakes, throttle bodies etc.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I would LOVE to do a supercharger but then you get into issues with the transmission. Speaking of transmission, I would also love a 6-speed automatic. 6L80E IIRC?

I'm thinking if I really wanted to have fun, maybe find a TBSS 6.0, build it up and bolt a 6L80E to it. Then again, if I'm going to do all that, I might as well just buy a TBSS!

What about porting different parts? I've heard about people porting intakes, throttle bodies etc.
True, TBMSport has a 6L80/90E conversion setup done for our trucks. Unfortunately as an 06 you'd have to break into the engine and swap crank and cam reluctors and convert to an E67 ECM from the E40. Doable, but not really cost effective unless you already have to tear into the engine. Or buy a junkyard 4L60E core (same trans you have now) and have it built.

Heck, you could find an 5.7L LS1 and build that. With your current ECM setup all LS1s work drop-in, just need a tune and to change over knock sensors and a few other small items. And if you go this route, you still have selectable 4WD vs AWD. Downfall is your rear diff isnt as strong, but I havent heard of too many guys blowing up the 8.6" unless they're making serious power.

Porting wont be worth it with just bolt-ons, LS2Portworks is local to me in the Seattle area and Ill be calling him up to port a L92 intake for me if I go that route. But you really need a heads/cam package to make porting worth it. Throttle bodies are doable, not sure you'd get more than 5hp with it and sometimes trying to tune a truck with a ported throttle body is a PITA.

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, the options are limitless depending on how much $$$ you want to spend. But like you said, make more power on one end and something down the line gives out.

If I stick with bolt on mods, I shouldn't make enough power to cause any other drivetrain failures. The Trans has already grenaded the sprag gear once!

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BUMP-

Just double & triple checking the 6.0 headers and exhaust will fit my 5.3 before ordering?

I would hate to get the stock manifolds off to find out the headers don't fit!

Thanks again,
Steve

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, thanks! I wonder why Stainless Works doesn't advertise them for the 5.3? :undecided

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Because most 5.3 guys arent doing much with their trucks...sucks but its true. Prove me wrong! :thumbsup:
Probably true on the 360 platform but across the GM lineup, 5.3s power a range of trucks.

I wish I could go back to March 2006 when I ordered my TB and select the SS package. It wasn't much more $$$ but at the time I was afraid the 6.0 would be a gas hog. Turns out, it gets about the same MPG as my 5.3!

I was also looking at new Tahoes. I remember the Tahoes were in the mid 40k price range but had 10K rebates making the cost almost the same. Ironically, I chose the TB because I liked the mid-size better but now wish I had chosen the Tahoe because I could use the extra space!! :bonk::duh:

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Probably true on the 360 platform but across the GM lineup, 5.3s power a range of trucks.

I wish I could go back to March 2006 when I ordered my TB and select the SS package. It wasn't much more $$$ but at the time I was afraid the 6.0 would be a gas hog. Turns out, it gets about the same MPG as my 5.3!

I was also looking at new Tahoes. I remember the Tahoes were in the mid 40k price range but had 10K rebates making the cost almost the same. Ironically, I chose the TB because I liked the mid-size better but now wish I had chosen the Tahoe because I could use the extra space!! :bonk::duh:
True, but remember with headers/exhaust its all about the packaging of the engine. Yes a 5.3 is a 5.3 (different blocks, heads, etc available), but a GMT360 frame is different than a GMT900.

I thought the SS was like 3-5k more than a V8? Or was that over base, so subtract 1k for the 5.3 option?

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
True, but remember with headers/exhaust its all about the packaging of the engine. Yes a 5.3 is a 5.3 (different blocks, heads, etc available), but a GMT360 frame is different than a GMT900.

I thought the SS was like 3-5k more than a V8? Or was that over base, so subtract 1k for the 5.3 option?
The SS might be that much more over a regular 4.2 TB. IIRC, the 5.3 was like $1k. I think the SS would have only cost me around $2k more.

There were only 2 things I didn't get on my TB, the Navigation (rip off) and the SS package. The window sticker still ended up being 2 pages. :D

http://images28.fotki.com/v1004/photos/4/41590/3295654/DSC01537-vi.jpg
http://images35.fotki.com/v1208/photos/4/41590/3295654/DSC01539-vi.jpg

·
3,700 Posts
The SS might be that much more over a regular 4.2 TB. IIRC, the 5.3 was like $1k. I think the SS would have only cost me around $2k more.

There were only 2 things I didn't get on my TB, the Navigation (rip off) and the SS package. The window sticker still ended up being 2 pages. :D

http://images28.fotki.com/v1004/photos/4/41590/3295654/DSC01537-vi.jpg
http://images35.fotki.com/v1208/photos/4/41590/3295654/DSC01539-vi.jpg
That makes more sense... Ours is an LS 5.3L 4x4 G80 "sun and sound" TB, and it was like $31,750... I know an SS was like $40k...

I still want to know how you're getting the same mileage as an SS... Before I threw on the 10-ply BFGs, I was getting 19-21mpg highway and 15 in town-country mixed driving... I've got 3.42 gears, but we both are 4WD with the 5.3...

Mike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts